Oscars on a Track for Survival in 2013

The Oscars finally achieved what it has been after. An audience that is younger than the show itself. This year’s show was hosted by funny man and creator of many FOX cartoons, Seth Macfarlane. Macfarlane opened the show like every host does with a musical number, in fact he did three, and was well received by critics. William Shatner made a surprise appearance to bring demise upon the show (he failed as ratings would show). Some of his side jokes, however, were not as well received as he took jabs at some high profile stars.

“As expected, MacFarlane was occasionally crude and mildly offensive; unfortunately, he wasn’t very funny. Which is a pretty big problem for a comedian and one not at all mitigated by playing up the possibility of being named the worst host in history,” said Mary Mcnarama of the LA times.

But the Oscars this years also brought the realization that they still have much catch up to do in order to stay afloat for another 84 years. The Grammys have overtaken them as the biggest night in television and the Golden Globes are also creeping up on the ratings of the Oscars. The reason for this is that the other award shows have managed to gain a good chunk of the new generations eyes, while the Oscars still is steered towards an older crowd. They did make an attempt this year by bringing in Mcfarlane.

On a happier note the vast majority of critics agree that ADELE’s rendition of her smash hit, “Skyfall”, was the highlight of the show. Performing in front of a colorfully dark background the singer put on a great show, incorporating the grand sound that was a staple to the studio version of the song.

Another highlight was our first lady Michelle Obama who appeared during the show. She was nominated for an award in the storytelling department.

Argo was a big winner of the night picking up three Academy Awards. Lincoln, a highlight of the movie year, picked up to awards, with Daniel Day Lewis picking up Best Actor. Jennifer Lawrence’s win of best female actor was controversial given her age and overall movie performance in Silver Lining Playbook, co starring with Bradley Cooper. Life of Pi, an oddly good movie, won four statues, including best visual effects. Django Unchained, one of the years more action flicks, picked up two awards, including best actor in a supporting role. Skyfall also picked up two awards including best theme song, thanks to Adele. Zero Dark Thirty, definitely the most controversial of the nominees, picked up one statue, and Les Miserables, a rendition of a beloved book, picked up two awards

Overall the Oscars were put on a track to survival. Its ratings were its best in over five years and while some might not have liked his performance, Seth Macfarlane surely helped make the show a hit.