A Voice Worth Reading

Romans vainly pursuing immoral passions, Christians being persecuted for their belief in one God who precedes the Roman Emperor, and gladiators lusting after the blood of their next victim plagues the interests of ancient Rome. Legendary Christian author, Francine Rivers, weaves the stories of a young Jewish slave girl, a handsome aristocrat, and a barbaric chief from a conquered Germanic tribe to craft an intricate tale entitled A Voice in the Wind. This is the first in a series titled Mark of the Lion containing three books.

Rivers’ use of a historical time period allows her readers to discover a wealth of knowledge about ancient Rome in a fun, fresh way without opening a textbook. As historical events unravel in the form of a story, readers can connect on a deeper level with the historical incidents that occurred as they truly grasp the mindsets and mannerisms of the people.

And of course, romance is always the cherry on top to any novel. In this case, the love between Hadassah and Marcus, the humble slave girl and the self-pleasing master’s son, is restricted. Marcus denies himself no pleasure and works hard to create a fortune to finance his every desire. He also enjoys attending the games at the Coliseum to watch gladiators battle to the death and criminals flee from hungry lions. But with the arrival of Hadassah and the evidence of her dedication to her God, he starts to change. Hadassah’s humble and submissive nature affects everyone around her as they notice how she serves out of love rather than obligation. She becomes very dear to the prominent Roman family to whom she is enslaved. Marcus has a social rank to uphold and Hadassah remains firm in her faith to not be unequally yoked in marriage, but circumstances and people can change.

Rivers’ portrayal of Julia, Hadassah’s self-absorbed mistress and Marcus’s younger sister, compels readers to harbor feelings of hatred toward this fictional character. Many of her careless decisions negatively affect poor Hadassah; some cause her deep grief and others bring near-death experiences. But all the while Hadassah loves the young girl and continues to care for her in a loving manner, which inspires readers to display genuine love towards others in their lives.

Despite the many troubles Hadassah faces, she allows her faith in God to grow as she sees how He guides and protects her. Her devotion to serving the Lord encourages readers; it is not uncommon for their faith to grow and be strengthened as they strive to be close with the Lord like Hadassah.

Though the book is long, the 500 pages tell of a truly unforgettable and life changing story. This book is worth every minute you invest into reading it. A Voice in the Wind makes all the qualifications of a good book. This page-turner contains numerous shocking and unpredictable events. It is impossible to not harbor passionate emotions towards the characters, and it leaves you anxious for more.