North Star Winter Play Review

Going into the small school production in the Black Box on Friday evening, I expected mid quality entertainment with mediocre acting and poor presentation. My mind was blown to say the least. “The North Star” was a genius blend of terrible southern racism, sidesplitting humor, and heartwarming courage.

The play was set in the 1960s. It focuses on over the counter racism, and the origins of the n-word. Despite the testy nature of the production, it was produced by the actors in a necessary and serious tone. The audience realized that the use of the word was for their betterment, and no one was visually offended.

The narrator, played by Alyse Rogers, senior, is a grown up version of the main character, Relia Taylor, played by Jada Ferguson, 7th grade. The story is about her struggle with racial discrimination, and how her and the people around her deal with it. Alyse and Jada did an excellent job leading the play. Although I was pleased by the performance of the entire cast, I was especially impressed by the showings of Lance Richards, junior, as Franklin, and of T.J. Noa, senior, as Mr. Connell.

With very little resources, the cast turned out a very quality play. It was both educating in the events of the past, and motivating to change the plans of the future. I would give it a 9/10.