Sticking Together

In the next few weeks, there will be commercial after commercial on virtually every channel trying to convince their audience that either President Obama or Governor Romney deserves to be president for the next four years.  In a time like this, there will be many arguments between the Republican party and the Democratic party.  Both of them will be trying to convince the people of the United States that their party’s leader has the best plan for the next four year.  Unfortunately, all these heated debates and arguments between the two people running for president have caused great dissention among the American people, including those at Westminster.

Westminster is made up of both Republicans and Democrats, but mostly Republicans, and recently a sense of tension has begun to arise in the last few weeks between these two parties.  In the announcements, there was a reminder that the people in our school all need to stay together and fight the urge to be disrespectful with those that do not have the same political views.  This announcement came after multiple Facebook fights that started out with two or more people respectfully disagreeing with each other over political topics.  But these once respectful debates eventually turned into terrible fights that had little to do about politics and more to do with the other person.  In my belief, these arguments are good for Westminster as long as they stay on the topic of politics and do not get personal.  It is good for people to express their beliefs, but this needs to be done in a respectful way that will not split the people up at Westminster even more.

Rather than fighting with everyone and trying to force individual beliefs on others, Westminster students need to come together and agree that, while they do not agree on everything in politics, they all need to stick together and get through these next few weeks.