A Day in the Life of a 6th Grader

Westminster has been attracting kids to its hallowed halls for several years. In the past, this has always been done one way; several sixth grade classes from participating private elementary schools would come and tour Westminster for a day. This year Westminster has created a new way to introduce the school to these young students with A Day in the Life of a Sixth Grader.

“We decided this year, that instead of having the kids come as a field trip, we would have them come by invitation and have them follow a specific shadow around,” said Peggy Johnson, Director of Admissions at Westminster.

Several students who received an invite to the event would come on a specific day when their school was out of session and Westminster was in session.

“The good thing about this process is that instead of getting in contact with the teacher, which in turn sends out small notices to all the students’ parents. The invitation goes straight to the parents, this way I get a better idea about who the participating student is and which shadow I can pare him or her with,” said Johnson.

The shadows are specifically picked out for each 6th grader.

“When you’re there age you want to connect with your shadow more than you want to learn about the classes the school provides,” said Johnson.

With this new experience, the kids get to not only have fun going to middle school classes, they also get to pick out their own lunch.

“When you’re a sixth grader, going through the lunch line with all the high school students is a big deal. It all sounds very simple to us but for them it is a whole new experience,” said Johnson.

At the end of the day the students get to meet with Tim Hall, head of Middle School, and Johnson, who present a small introduction to Westminster. Johnson gives them a tour through the school and they leave at 12:30 PM.