Cinemaniacs Start a Club of Their Own

A sophomore strides into a teacher’s classroom one afternoon. “I’ve got an idea,” he says, “What do you think?” One year later, they are feeling in control, they are ready to go, and nothing is holding them back now. Westminster’s movie club is born.

There are numerous clubs and organizations at WCA that are open to anyone in the community. Groups such the Spanish club have been meeting regularly for years. The movie club is brand new and quickly gaining momentum.

Jonny Kinney, junior, is the founder and president working alongside Jeremy Scott, eighth grade teacher, to make this a fun and rewarding experience for everyone. The group was actually formed last year during the second semester, so they are fairly new to the world of club organizing.

“Last year it was just an idea, and we didn’t know what that would look like. Now it has grown into something much bigger, and we know what we want,” said Scott.

The movie-lovers meet about every two weeks on Mondays in Scott’s room. One meeting will consist of planning what they want to watch, and another will be held to discuss it after the screening. Movie nights or screenings are a separate event that usually take place at someone’s house.

The whole point of this club is not to simply watch movies, but to learn about filmmakers, to watch and critique films, and to discuss them as a group.

“Anyone can watch a movie, but it takes more to watch, understand, and communicate the idea behind it using a biblical worldview,” said Scott.

Everyone is encouraged to  join from seventh grade up through the seniors because it creates a nice variety of viewpoints among the students.

“We have a little bit of everyone in movie club. That’s what makes it so fun!” said Annie Hartwig, senior.

Students are enjoying the engaging time they spend together during club meetings.

“It’s something fun to do after school, and it’s a good time to relax,” said Nathan Jackson, sophomore.

This year, Kinney hopes to have different movie nights for each month dedicated to a specific movie genre. Some examples include sci-fi, western, and eighties. In October, they are planning to focus on western films.

“Everyone should come to movie club. It’s going to be really interesting,” said Kinney.

They also have some new ideas for this year such as creating a YouTube channel to post movie clips and talk about them online. Another big idea is the possibility of having screenings somewhere on campus, with the first one being Movie Night on the Plaza on Sat. October 27 from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

“I went to drive-in’s a lot as a kid but haven’t been to one recently, so I am excited that WCA is making their own!” said Katie Boesch, senior.

Last year, the movie club watched only one movie together: Catch Me if You Can. They also discussed the famous filmmaker Steven Spielberg, his unique style, and themes that appear in his movies.

“Film impacts our culture more than any other artistic medium. It’s been like that for about a hundred years now. It’s worth coming to,” said Scott.