Permission to Push Me…Granted

Westminster students spend a significant portion of every week in classroom devotionals, and as such a large amount of valuable class time is dedicated to them, devos are clearly an important part of the Westminster program. But in their selection of devotional topics, teachers may be missing an important opportunity to further impact their students’ walk with Christ.
Teachers obviously take time to prepare meaningful devotionals every week, but I, for one, want to encourage them to take us beyond traditional “teen” issues, such as peer pressure, gossip, and worshipping modern idols. Because many, if not most, Westminster students have been in the Christian school system their entire lives, it might be beneficial for school devos to go beyond these topics. These students have heard these lessons many times before, and it can be difficult to find new insights in them. Teachers should consider the knowledge and abilities of many Christian-school students as they plan their devotionals, and I believe a careful look will open the door to more complex and thought-provoking topics. Although things like peer pressure and gossip are important, I suspect Westminster teens are also ready to tackle deeper theological questions and more difficult areas of application. Many things relevant to a teenager in our world today are not often addressed, such as godly ways to handle money or choose a politician to support. I think we are ready for a devotional concerning a Christian’s role in a democracy, or what the Bible has to say about immigration. A teacher might consider discussing Christian attitude towards social movements like environmentalism or feminism. Although these aren’t typical “teenage” topics, years of teaching and devotionals have prepared us for more.
For example, I noticed recently the intensity of the debate concerning separation of church and state. One, generally more liberal, side argues that as there should be no mandated state religion, the church and government should remain completely separate, while the other side says that since our country was founded in the name of God, it should be governed accordingly. Perhaps a teacher could give a devotional about the Bible’s views on this– although it is not a common “teenage” subject, I think that it is very relevant to teen’s lives today, especially the lives of older students who are preparing to vote and play a role in our government. I also have many friends and family members that are vegetarians, even a few that are vegans, meaning that they don’t consume any animal products at all, usually for moral reasons. What does the Bible have to say about this? We all know that Adam and Eve were to subdue the earth and have dominion over the animals, but what exactly does this mean? Is it wrong to eat meat, or did God provide animals as food in the garden? Again, this is certainly not a subject usually geared towards teens, but these are all questions relevant to the many Westminster students who have a vegetarian or vegan friend, or are one themselves. Through years of devotionals, teachers have led us to ask more complex questions about God and our lives as Christians, and I believe many students are ready for more.
In Hebrews, Paul mentions the difference between spiritual
milk and spiritual meat–one being the fundamental beliefs taught to new Christians, the other the more difficult ideas for people farther along in their walk with God. I don’t think I’m alone in wanting more meat.