Big Shoes to Fill

Lawyers, teachers, bankers, and board members serve as the search committee to find a quality leader to be the new head of school.

Head of school is a short title, but the job description and responsibility list goes on and on.

The head of school serves as the chief executive officer for the school. He executes the policies of the board, submits a monthly progress report, and develops and implements the annual and long-range objectives of Christian education for the school.

They promote understanding and cooperation between the school, community, administration, faculty, staff, and students. This is a small glimpse of some of the expectations the board has for the head of school.Ultimately,  the headmaster is the face of Westminster that should hold themselves to a higher standard and display Christian morals and values that are pleasing to the Lord.

Students have become accustomed to seeing Jim Marsh, head of school, in the halls because he works hard to have a close relationship with students on an individual and personal level, even with all he has to do.

Marsh stays busy and is the go to guy for almost any situation. Despite the busyness everyday, he is always willing to make time for students and treat them like they are just as important as everything else he is in charge of. Students have grown to admire this about him, but it has also set extremely high standards and expectations from the students for the new head of school.

The question that is most frequently asked is what does the Board, administration, and teachers expect from the new Head of School? It is important to get their input, but what do students expect from the new head of school since they will be affected by the change as well?

“It is going to be really hard to see Mr. Marsh go, as you never hear any complaints about him. In order to keep Westminster honed in on the vision that Mr. Marsh and many others have, I think it is crucial that our new head of school possesses similar characteristics as Mr. Marsh does. I love how charismatic he is. You always feel welcome and at home when talking to him. I think it is great that although he doesn’t have contact with the students everyday like a teacher does, he still takes a sincere interest in the students as he religiously attends sporting, academic, and theatrical events. I think it would be great if our new head of school was already affilliated and connected with the WCA community because they have to understand Mr. Marsh’s vision through the amazing job that he has done. I also think that if they already know our school’s atmosphere and community, the transition will be a lot smoother,” said Claire Kopsky, junior.

Students each have opinions on what that person should do with the job.

“For me, some of the most important qualities of a new head of school should be experienced and have an extremely strong desire to be in a community full of students. As Mr. Marsh does now, I especially would appreciate a head of school who is involved in the community by doing things like coming to sporting events and going along with students on the leadership retreat. This shows that they truly want to be apart of the Westminster community,” said Megan Johnson, sophomore.

Most students think the new head of school should be affiliated with Westminster in some way.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say that the person needs to come from WCA, but I think it would be most beneficial if the person had a background here or is involved and familiar in some way. As it is sad that Mr. Marsh is leaving, I’m excited to see how the school changes and grows with a new head of school,” said Johnson.