Westminster Students Get F’s

Thoughts raced through the student’s mind, imagining the possible ways she could fail. Maybe she would get a horrible instructor, or she might make a stupid mistake like forgetting how to turn on the lights. As the instructor called her name, the student nervously guided them to the car and prepared to take the driver test.

Meanwhile, another student was on his way to take the permit test. Palms sweaty and mind racing, the student began the twenty question test, fearing that he would fail twice and have to come back later to re-take it.

According to the Missouri Department of Motor Vehicles, DMV, nearly 50% of people fail their drivers test at least once and 40% fail their permit test. Janie Hughes, sophomore, failed her driver test the first time because she ran a red light.

“I think that the hardest part of the test was remembering all the steps to parking on a hill and other small things like that. I was completely crushed, and it completely ruined my birthday because I totally thought I would pass, but then I ruined it by running a red light on accident. I was quite the angry person for the rest of that day,” said Hughes.

Thankfully, Hughes passed the test the next day after re-taking the test. Although running a red light is not a common error, students are having problems with every  issue that driving presents.

Sarah Jane Fiala, sophomore, also had difficulties passing her test. Like Hughes, Fiala took the test on her birthday and failed.

“The hardest part of the test for me was remembering everything that I had practiced and not getting too nervous and making a dumb mistake,” said Fiala.

Over the years, the drivers test has become significantly more challenging. Students are failing their tests because of silly mistakes, and tougher grading.

However, students are not only having difficulties on the drivers test, but also on the permit test. The permit test asks a series of questions that are essential to driving, and some that are not so essential.

Statistics show that  most people fail their permit test the first time. Sam Hunsicker, freshman, was no exception.

“I have taken the permit test twice and I still  haven’t passed. It was hard for me to concentrate because of the noise level and the atmosphere,” said Hunsicker.

Before taking the twenty minute license test a person must complete 50 hours of driving to ensure they are fully prepared; yet even after 50 hours of driving, students still fail the test. Likewise, students are required to read a book explaining necessary facts to know about driving before taking the permit test.  It is no guarantee though. Some are still failing.

According to DMV, students are no longer taking driving seriously. Therefore, both the permit test and the license test have become harder in hope that students will be allowed to drive only when they are fully capable and prepared and realize the responsibilities.