Taking The Reins

Most high school students play sports like softball, soccer, and lacrosse,but not Anna Gaffney. Anna Gaffney, senior, has been riding horses since she was five years old.

“I started riding at A-Stables. Then I moved to Jeff City and began riding at Wild Horse Creek, which is where I first started showing,”said Gaffney.

Once she finished riding out at Wild Horse Creek she moved on to ride at multiple different barns.  She leased her first horse in sixth grade.

“Freshman year I got Lacey from Georgia and she was the first horse I’ve ever completely owned.  I showed Lacey freshman year through sophomore year. Her show name was Ribbons and Lace. Then I leased Garth for around two years and I showed him from the end of sophomore year through junior year.  Now for senior year I am showing horses for people while looking for my next horse,” said Gaffney.

Gaffney has ridden in over one hundred horse shows.

“Over the past six years I have done two to three horse shows a month,” said Gaffney.

Showing horses takes up lots of time and is a huge time commitment.

“I have lessons and practice for my horse shows Tuesday through Friday and all of my horse shows are Friday through Sunday,” said Gaffney.

Showing horses is also                    very different then any typical sport. It requires a whole different mindset.

“Well, your teammate is a 1,000 pound animal with a mind of it’s own.  It very rarely is a game about points, you’re not out there trying to score goals or runs.  You’re bring judged on how well you do and you’re going against the other people in your class.  There are a lot of rules that you have to follow, and if your horse acts up, you’re out of the competition. Horse showing is all about image. It is based on the way you present yourself and how you and your horse look the second you step into the ring determines wether the judges are even going to give you a chance,” said Gaffney.

Preparing for a show takes lots of time and effort on the rider’s and the horse’s part.

“In my lessons two weeks before the show we school and go over the kinds of things I may be asked to do in the classes I’m showing in.  We also work on keeping in mind what the judges will be looking for.  Then we give the horse a rub down on their legs and wrap them overnight so they’re not sore at the show,” said Gaffney.

Shows can take place in just about any state and lots of barns put on their own show every year.

“My barn puts on a show every year and I have ridden in that show before.  The barns I do shows at are all over Missouri and Illinois,”said Gaffney.

Riding is something Anna wants to continue in college.

“I have been offered a riding scholarship to Murray and I have also talked to the coaches at Calvin about riding for them as well,”said Gaffney.

Along with riding in college, she hopes to further her education in college as well.

“In college I want to major in equine science or in business management for horses and riders,” said Gaffney.

Riding has become more than a hobby for Anna.  Horse showing has become more of a way of life which she will continue after college.

“Once I get out of college, I want to work for an eventing rider. An eventing rider is an Olympic level rider.  I want to be a student                                                                                           and get lots of experience.  After that, I hope to manage the barn where the eventing rider rides.  After I manage a barn, I want to open my own eventing barn and train horses and give lessons,” said Gaffney.