Antonio López, Thomas Adams, and Chicle

Working as a photographer, Thomas Adams sat down for a meal with his infamous houseguest, General Antonio López de Santa Anna, the former Mexican president who was spending his time of exile in New York. López discussed his plan of seizing power in Mexico by taking over Mexico City with an army of his own.

López explained to Adams that his funding for this army was focused around one material: a natural gum known as chicle which grew on the sapodilla tree of Mexico. For centuries before, Mexicans had been chewing chicle, but López aimed to use it to create a rubber alternative. He believed it could be combined with current rubber in order to reduce its cost.

López had already been shipping chicle to the United States for his highly anticipated business venture,but needed a scientist to experiment with it. Giving up his day job as a photographer, Adams became López’s secretary and scientist.

Adams began experimenting on chicle in 1870. His mission was to experiment with chicle in order to create a rubber alternative for manufacturing toys, boots, tires, and shoes.

For over a year, he tried to make boots and tires, but there was no success. Then, just when Adams was ready to give up, he remembered how López’s hometown had chewed the material.

Adams made a batch of his own in his kitchen, and when he tested it, he realized that it differed tremendously from the current gum that was sold. Chicle gum was smooth and had much more pleasant texture than the sap-based gum being sold in his day.

Then, he began heating the chicle, adding licorice and other ingredients to improve flavor. His additions proved to be beneficial, and in little time, he started his own company: Adams Gum Company.

Adams distributed his product, “Adams New York Stretching and Snapping Gum”, in local stores. His invention was an instant success.

Orders became so rapid that Adams had to create the first factory for gum making.

In 1875, Adams put his newly conceived gum, known as “Black Jack”, on the market. “Black Jack” gum was the first chicle flavored gum. Also, it introduced gum that came in stick pieces.

In 1888, Adams Gum Company introduced the first ever vending machine in America.

Adams’ invention proved to be the basis of all modern gum. And, although most gums have artificial bases, some still use chicle. “Black Jack” gum is still on sale today.