A Time To Appreciate

In my four years at WCA, the only sport I have played is football. While I only play football in the fall, WCA football is a year-round deal. Even though it is tiresome to constantly be focusing on one sport year-round, there are many enjoyable aspects that stem directly from my year-round involvement. Needless to say, playing games on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons have been amazing. There are a lot of things that can be appreciated about WCA athletics. Here are some of the little aspects of WCA athletics that I have enjoyed most and that should be appreciated by all WCA athletes.

1. The community shared:

I have always enjoyed finishing a hard practice or a hard lifting session and hanging out with my friends and teammates. Even if there are just a few sore athletes sitting around in the locker room and shootin’ the breeze, it is still truly enjoyable to hang out with people I’ve strived with for a common goal. When you look back at a season, you don’t really remember the hard practices in the hot August sun. Instead you remember the actual games and the good times shared with teammates in the locker room. Community is one of the more underrated aspects of being an athlete. I have always held a special appreciation for the community that WCA athletes share, and all WCA athletes should be grateful for it.

2. The fans:

Shout out to the Blue Crew: it’s awesome to have such great fans. The Blue Crew is loyal in supporting WCA’s sports teams and coming to games, regardless of a winning status. Few things are better as an athlete than looking up into the stands and seeing a load of your fellow students cheering on you and your teammates. It is way more fun to play in front of a bunch of your fellow students cheering you on than playing in front of a stadium that is empty of everyone except a few parents. The fans are another underrated aspect of WCA athletics and should be appreciated by all WCA athletes.

3. The coaching:

I don’t think that the majority of athletes at WCA realize how much better the quality of coaching at WCA is compared to many other schools. For one thing, I doubt that most other schools have as many former professional athletes coaching them. All of our coaches genuinely want the team they coach to score a win and will do all that they can to make it happen. However, they do not put more importance in winning than they do in supporting the ten athletic pillars of the WCA athletic program and supporting the personal growth of their players. I constantly hear stories about how coaches at other schools regard their players as athletes rather than people. This should make WCA athletes appreciate the fact that our coaches love us and are truly interested in our lives.

4. The friendships:

I am the first to admit that I would not be friends with most of my teammates if I did not play football. I have developed good friendships with many whom I otherwise would not know very well. Also, I have grown in my relationships with athletes in other sports through the offseason strength and conditioning program. By their very nature, athletics enhance relationships between teammates and between athletes on different teams. There is something about a group of people working together for something that draws them closer together. This is something to be exceedingly thankful for, as we could all use deeper friendships.

5. The offseason preparation:

As crazy as it sounds, I actually enjoy weightlifting. I like football better, but weightlifting is fun and allows me to challenge myself. Participating in the offseason strength and conditioning program and working with your teammates all year round allows for deeper relationships than a mere three month long season does. It obviously also allows you to improve at your sports. I will admit that it is often difficult to appreciate the offseason when all that you are doing is looking forward to your next sports season. Obviously, most people prefer the season to the offseason. However, it is a chance to develop deeper relationships with your teammates while continuing to improve your skills at the sport you enjoy. Therefore, offseason preparation is another aspect of WCA sports that should be appreciated by all athletes.