WCA’s Mr. Butz Makes His Muny Debut

Carissa Mitchell
Mr. Butz and Carissa pose for a photo at the Muny.

Muny summer productions are a Saint Louis family summer favorite outing. This year, one production means a bit more to the WCA community than the others. Westminster’s very own beloved theater teacher Mr. James (Jim) Butz joined the Muny in their 105th year production of Sondheim’s West Side Story. WCA students and families were thrilled to see the show and their teacher on the Muny stage

Making his debut performance with the Muny, Mr Butz played the role of Officer Krupke, a police officer charged with the task of keeping the street gangs in line. He is often seen with Lieutenant Schrank as they attempt to keep peace between the Jets and the Sharks, the two gangs around which the musical is set. Officer Krupke is firm and threatens the gang members with various consequences for their actions. 

Even so, Mr. Butz accepted this role rather unconventionally. A former colleague remembered Mr. Butz’s easy to work with, hardworking and talented attitude from a previous show they worked on together twenty years ago and requested he play this part. After he submitted an audition tape he was offered the job. Mr. Butz’s professionalism carries through all that he does, and is therefore clearly evident to all his students at Westminster. 

“Mr. Butz is a really smart guy. He’s just really good at what he does. He definitely knows the theater industry as well as anyone and I just think we’re lucky to have him at Westminster because I know he could be out on Broadway” said rising junior Charlie Mathis. 

His profound impact on the WCA theater community is evident in the way his students admire his teaching and instruction. Mr. Butz demonstrates his knowledge of the performing arts in all the shows he directs by demanding excellence and quality from everyone in the cast, while still displaying kindness and respect.

“Mr. Butz is so kind to everybody and always lights up a room. He’s just fun [to work with]” commented rising sophomore Ginger Cox. 

At Westminster and outside of our community, Mr. Butz strives to create an uplifting and encouraging environment. He leads by example and inspires others to do the same. For anyone looking into a career in theatre, here is some helpful advice: 

“I would recommend all young performers to train diligently in whatever area of the Theatre they commit themselves to […] Everyone in the show [West Side Story] was incredibly skilled, focused, hard working and committed […] I would tell a young person to study dance, workout, take voice lessons, perform at every opportunity, and educate yourself on all the different genres of theatre from plays to musicals. I would also say that life is connected and that your reputation matters enormously. Theatre is extremely competitive[…] you need a really strong work ethic. If you are talented but have a bad attitude, your job opportunities will suffer because they can always find someone who is talented and easy to work with” quoted from Mr. Butz.

To be a successful performer, work hard, be dedicated and be kind. Mr. Butz demonstrates all these qualities both at school and throughout the rest of his life. The Muny was lucky to have Mr. Butz this summer, but we are even more so to have him throughout the rest of the year.