Community Gathers For WCA’s Diversity Night

On Tuesday, September 18, Westminster faculty, parents, and students met on campus at 6:30 PM for the annual WCA Diversity Night.

Both caucasian families and those of color were strongly encouraged to attend.

“In the past, we’ve had diversity dinners to bring families of color together. Last year, there was such an interest in families not of color, and they wanted to be a part of it, too. So, we’re having a dessert reception now, and anyone is welcome to join,” said Sarah Holley, Advancement Associate.

The big idea behind this event was to bring all cultures of WCA together to celebrate the diversity the Lord has blessed this school with, let parents know in what ways the school is being intentional about inclusion and diversity, and to get the families of color involved in this community.

“We are better together as a community of diverse people. As a Christian community, diversity is who we are,” said Aaron Layton, Director of Diversity.

A meet and greet dessert reception was held in the Grand Entry to get everyone acquainted before adjourning to the cafe. Then, a presentation with speeches about community, involvement, and service was given by various people.

Camille Frogge, diversity committee member, opened in prayer first in Spanish, then, in English.  Following that, Jim Marsh, head of school, welcomed everyone and spoke about the importance of being one body with many parts that all need each other.

“Shouldn’t our kids grow up in a community that celebrates and embodies diversity?” said Marsh.

An interesting quiz by JD Perona made learning about Westminster’s diverse community fun while also providing an effective segue for Layton to discuss the importance of viewing the school as one big family that includes everyone.

Westminster is being very intentional in how they look at and handle the diversity here.

“What God has called for WCA is not stagnant; it’s dynamic. The world is a diverse place, and it’s only going to become more diverse. We must prepare our students for this world,” said Layton.

Mark and Kristi Lindgren then made their way to the podium to touch on the subject of PAW and the diversity committee. In closing, Amir Zachary, senior, said a prayer in English and then Arabic.

“I attended last year and this year he went a little more in depth.” said Leroy Holmes, parent of a junior.

In the end, the Westminster community was happy with how the night turned out.

“It was a nice way to bring together different races and talk about just being together,” said Dani Butler, upper school english teacher.