Facing+Ridicule

hope linam

Facing Ridicule

Standing up for your beliefs may be one of the most difficult things you have to defend. Having to confidently prove to someone that strongly disagrees with you that Christianity is real when we ourselves blindly believe in a God we’ve never met seems like an impossible task. However, regardless of the extent of the ridicule we may face from others, our “faith in what we cannot see” gives us a purpose and gives us the ultimate truth we need to defend our beliefs. 

When I’ve been asked how I know God exists it’s pretty simple for me. I see and feel God’s presence and peace when I am in constant pursuit of him versus when I’m not. Speaking from experience, when I shut God out completely I was filled with an emptiness that can only be explained by “giving up on God.” But, when I pursue my relationship with the Lord and confidently profess with my mouth that I believe, I am filled with a peace that surpasses all understanding. 

In life, we will face people who strongly disagree with Christianity because they don’t get it, or they don’t want to admit that there is a God who holds their future in His hands. So, facing ridicule as Christians is something we will have to endure regardless of how difficult it may be. But, all we can do is be living proof of the gospel and stewards of God’s truth and grace. Through our actions, words, and motivations we can show others the goodness and love of Christ. In return, we receive something much greater, as Romans 10:9 says, “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” By truly believing in Christ and His sacrifice for our lives we receive eternity in Heaven.

Additionally, something I read once has stuck in my mind when it comes to defending the faith. If we spend our lives trusting God with our whole beings and believe in something greater than ourselves, and it’s not real, then we have lost nothing. But, if it turns out to be true… we have gained everything. 

Even if after facing those who strongly disagree with your beliefs, and you have done all you can in defending Christianity and they still choose not to believe you, then it’s up to us to live Christ out through our words and actions. Lastly, ridicule is inevitable because there are some people out there who hate Christians, but we still have the confidence of eternity in Heaven and no one can take that away from you.