logo

maggie lindstrom

logo

Why I Write And So Should You

Days get stressful. There is nobody on this planet that never feels any kind of stress or negative feelings. Everyone needs some healthy way to cope with stress and even use it to their advantage through productivity, and that’s exactly what I do with writing. Due to the fact that you are even reading this blog, I assume you have some interest in writing or english as well, which is great! Writing is a fantastic thing to enjoy, and there are so many reasons why.

Firstly, it exercises your brain and gets you thinking. Specifically when writing a book, some poetry, or a short story, you create plots, put together compelling sentences, and practice utilizing language to reflect your feelings and entertain your readers. To do that well takes focus and concentration, which helps strengthen your mind.

Along those lines, writing makes you better at writing. That’s just how it is. Practice makes perfect. So, writing as practice will help you improve, and improvement and accomplishment releases endorphins. The more you write and the better you get, the better you feel about your writing and the more confidence you gain. Personally, the more I improve in my writing the more I love it.

Next, writing is such a useful skill to have, no matter what profession you are in or are planning on going into. My brother is planning on becoming a math professor, and he is currently in extremely high-level mathematics classes at college. He has told me several times that he has to write essays explaining different things in math (I am absolutely not a mathematician so I couldn’t tell you what they were about), and he emphasizes how important it is to be articulate. Being able to utilize language to get your point across effectively is a skill that nearly all successful people have, no matter what field they work in.

Writing also helps you express your emotions and even figure them out as you go. It sometimes feels like I’m drowning in vague emotions and strewn-about thoughts until I write. Writing can help you organize your thoughts and figure out what you’re truly feeling because you have to articulate your emotions.

Lastly, depending on what you write, you can create an entirely different universe and story to submerge yourself into. If you enjoy writing fiction, you get to create and control an entire world, stitching together creative characters and plots to your heart’s content. You don’t have to search for the perfect book to read; you get to write it! You can put whatever you want into your story, and I can confidently say that if you want to read your own book, other people will as well.

Overall, writing is awesome!

Sneak peak: next post will be about how I create characters.