Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

The Fall of Snapchat

The once crowd favorite app is dwindling in popularity

Whether it’s Kylie Jenner’s tweet bashing the app or the new update, Snapchat’s popularity is rapidly declining.

Recently after Kylie Jenner tweeted, “Sooo does anyone else not open Snapchat anymore? Or is it just me….ugh this is so sad,” Snapchat’s stock went down more than 8%. With 24.5 million followers on Twitter and 9 million on Snapchat, Kylie’s voice is going to be heard.

According to Reuters.com, the market value adds up to a loss of $1.5 billion. Experts are not certain that Kylie’s tweet is the reason Snapchat’s stock has crashed, but it’s definitely hard to believe it would be a coincidence considering the decline happened the day after Kylie Jenner’s tweet.

The new Snapchat update may have led to Kylie’s tweet and the overall decline in the app’s stock. There have been complaints and petitions to Snapchat from users saying they want the old version back and hate the new one.

Writing for Tech Crunch, Sarah Perez notes that “as of February 13, 2018, [a] Change.org petition had grown to over 800,000 signatures.”

Common issues with the new update include the stories page and the disorganized page of sent and received messages. The app has also been super glitchy lately and crashes sometimes. This new update has also affected many people at WCA and the Snapchat

community.

“I despise it, it makes me not want to use Snapchat anymore because it’s hard to use,” said Veronica Ortiz, freshman.

In response to the Change.org petition and user complaints, “Snapchat promises to make a few more changes to the Friends and Discover section,” adds Perez. This also comes to show how people can use their voice to change something.

Snapchat seems to be dying. Will they be able to save themselves by modifying the new design of their app? Will Instagram, or another social media platform, take their place?

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

Let’s Talk About It

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

A Lament for George W. Bush’s Favorite Sandwich

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

In A World Where TV Rules

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

The over-pressured, over-committed, almost “college” student

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

Well Worth the Wait

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

Sleep or School?

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

Sometimes You Get What You Pay For

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

A Lost art

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

Why I Won’t be Walking Out

• The Fall of Snapchat

Opinion

The Future Written in Red

The School Newspaper of Westminster Christian Academy
The Fall of Snapchat