The School Newspaper of Westminster Christian Academy

Filed under Opinion

Walk The Talk

A call to exercise our faith through our works.

At Westminster Christian Academy, we tend to be all talk but do not implement our words into our actions. Students tend to only serve to get their required hours, not because they want to serve in their free time. However, would anyone serve if they did not have to? Some people might disagree because they already participate in NHS, senior service, or with sports teams here at school. While some students may participate in individual service projects, we need to come together as the body of Christ to serve the community.

Schools all around us are doing service projects, so why aren’t we? Other schools throughout our community, such as Whitfield, have days dedicated to an in-school service project. Doing service projects bond the students together while serving others for a greater cause. This can benefit our school community and make us grow closer together.

For example, Parkway West has a school wide day of service for Special Olympics. Five hundred upperclassmen will be able to participate in Special Olympics on a first-come, first-serve basis. The remaining upperclassmen will go off campus to volunteer at an organization of their choice. Whitfield has four days off  in the school year to do service projects. They get to use their time and energy for a greater and more meaningful cause than just being stuck in the classroom.

Unfortunately, some students will not be willing to serve unless they are getting something out of it to benefit themselves. It is difficult for students to carve time out of their busy schedules, which include sports and academics, to serve. If students have free time, it will be spent catching up on sleep or finishing work. Many times, students do not complete the required service projects with the right heart.

Students can come together with their friends to make the event enjoyable while also serving the community. The community of having everyone together makes the event special. Even doing the simplest things for those in need can have a big impact on their life. At Westminster, we need to incorporate this into our community and serve because we want to, not because we feel forced too. This should all be done for the Glory of God.

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

Decking the Halls…in November?

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

O Come to the Controversy

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

NOT MY FAULT BY: HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

Is Social Media Censoring Conservative Ideas?

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

Maximizing Students’ Potentials

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

Don’t Shoot the Messenger

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

Less Shakespeare

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

Athletics are More Important Than We Think

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

A Teacher’s Chance to Transform Lives

• Walk The Talk

Opinion

No More Snaps

Walk The Talk