Filed under Opinion

Less Shakespeare

Reading Shakespeare is a waste of time.

Although Shakespeare has made a huge impact on the english world through his literature, student after student cannot seem to gain any meaningful knowledge from it. The countless hours of reading are not worth while because they help very few students in their future careers. The time students take to try to comprehend Shakespeare’s writing overwhelmingly outweighs the amount of time they spend actually putting it to use.

Not all students at Westminster, or any schools for that matter, are going to be actors or english teachers. Therefore, students continue to ask “What’s the point?” and “Why do we have to invest some much time in reading something so old?”

Shakespeare does have its benefits. Teacher’s do have a purpose behind students learning Shakespeare that goes far beyond students’ understanding in the present moment. Trying to understand the characters improves a student’s ability to think and process. Shakespeare is used in schools because it is seen as necessary for any job in the future.  

Although it can be helpful, Shakespeare should be taught when necessary. Teachers who need to teach Shakespeare and anyone pursuing a career in acting should be the only ones required to learn it. Rather than making every high schooler suffer through Shakespeare, his work should be taught in specialized college classes. All the time used in high school and college learning unnecessary things could be saved and used for more purposeful things. People could start doing what they want to do for a living way quicker, and start making money at an earlier age. Less Shakespeare more money.

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

The Future Written in Red

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

Followers Don’t Equal Voters

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

A Step Towards Service

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

“It Will Only Take a Minute”

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

A Step in the Right Direction

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

Decking the Halls…in November?

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

O Come to the Controversy

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

NOT MY FAULT BY: HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

Walk The Talk

• Less Shakespeare

Opinion

Is Social Media Censoring Conservative Ideas?

The School Newspaper of Westminster Christian Academy
Less Shakespeare