42 Is a Cinematic Home Run

Everything has changed since the 1950’s. In the High-Point theater, the seats were filled with people of different racial backgrounds. As I sat, I observed an old white couple sitting next to a young African-American family without complaint or disturbance.

I felt normal in that situation, and I was ready to see the movie that I highly anticipated. The people in the theater munched on popcorn and exchanged a word or two before the curtain drew and the film began, and everyone watched as one.

The movie 42, about the career and signing of Jackie Robinson with the Brooklyn Dodgers, is an outstanding film that accurately depicts racial conflicts. The film follows the beginning of his career and the trials that came with it.

In one of the opening scenes of the movie Robinson, played by Chadwick Boseman, and his all-black baseball team stop at a gas station to refuel their bus.  Robinson asks to use the bathroom, and the man filling the gas tank reminds him that he is not allowed to use the rest room because it is for whites only. Robinson tells the team that they will get there 99 gallons of gas elsewhere, and the man then allows him to use the rest room. This is where Robinson’s courage and sheer guts is first seen.

The film does an outstanding job of showing Robinson’s character as a man, and his struggle to fight his urges to give into the pressure to fight those who provoked him.

Overall, the acting in the movie was fairly good,  but the real show stopper was Harrison Ford.  Well- known for his role as Indiana Jones, Ford did not let his past roll define him. He appeared to have gained a few pounds for the role of Branch Rickey, the owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, and spoke in a ridiculously deep voice the entire movie and never went out of character. Ford also had a few one liners that captured the show and brought a touch of light-hearted humor to the serious topic that the film depicts.

Another excellent aspect of the movie was the music. The scoring of the film not only fit the mood and era, but was perfectly timed, and it perfectly framed the mood of every scene.

One of the few drawbacks of the film was that it did not touch on Robinson’s faith. It was mentioned when Rickey was deciding which African-American player to bring onto the team, but that was the end of it. Robinson’s faith influenced his career, but the movie did a poor job of depicting it.

Some of the acting from minor characters was sub par, but it wasn’t terrible.

Overall, the film is worth seeing, despite frequent use of rude language. The language matches the era, and the film does not dumb that down. This movie is great not only for baseball fans, but also any other people who are interested in watching the film. It educates on an era that most teenagers are unaware of, and shows how far the world has come since then.