Beautiful Creatures Movie Review

Beautiful Creatures was a unique movie that combined romance with the supernatural in a way that was more disturbing than creative.

Beautiful Creatures was originally a novel by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.  I had heard from many that the book was wonderful.  However, on the commercials, it did not look like a movie that I would enjoy, but I decided to see it with a friend who was a huge fan of the book.

The film, directed by Richard LaGravenese and starring Alden Ehrenreich (Ethan) and Alice Englert (Lena), is set in the small Southern town of Gatlin, South Carolina.  It follows a naive, country boy named Ethan Wate who falls in love with the new girl in town Lena Duchannes.  He later discovers that she is a witch and comes from a family entirely made up of witches and warlocks.

As the movie unfolds, Lena comes closer and closer to her sixteenth birthday: a point when she must decide to become a good or evil witch.  She is extremely afraid of turning towards the dark side like her mom and cousin but Ethan continues to assure her that she won’t.

I did not like the ending of the movie.  In addition, the movie included extremely too much “PDA”.  Everyone in the theatre was uncomfortable when the characters simply could not stop touching each other.

Also, the movie was definitely weird at times.  The fantasy elements of the film were overdone and cheesy.  Nothing about the movie was believable and this made it boring to watch.

All in all, I would give this movie 0 paws out of 4 for being boring, awkward to watch, and frightening.  I would not recommend it to anyone especially those who have read the books.  From what I’ve heard, the movie altered the story a lot.  This upset fans of the book series, like my friend that saw it with me.

Although I am not a fan of this movie, if I were a fan, I would hope there to be another movie to follow up this one because the ending was too abrupt.  The possibility of a follow-up movie to this one is very possible because the book series continues on past this point.