Silver Linings Playbook: The Case Study

Please note that this movie is rated R and will not be suitable for some audiences.

The fact that I had to leave that note above will make some readers cringe in fear and others lean forward, curious to see what scandalous things await them in the Oscar-nominated Silver Linings Playbook

I wanted to see this movie primarily because it featured Jennifer Lawrence as the lead, but was a little disheartened when IMDB warned of its use of swear words—a vigorous use, I might add. It claimed that the “F-Bomb” had been dropped over seventy-five times. That was no exaggeration, I discovered.

I suppose the reader is expecting me to call this movie a piece of trash and tell readers to keep as far away from the film as possible.

The truth is, I loved this movie, and the writing most of all—curse words and all. (Well, kind of.)

When I left the theater, it was the story and the characters that I remembered the most, not the swearing. Bradley Cooper plays Bobby, who was written in such away that his bipolar disorder was not his defining characteristic but only an aspect of himself. This made his mental illness not a gimmick or something for him to spend the movie tackling, but just another part of his life that he had to overcome as a regular person would.

Jennifer Lawrence’s character, Tiffany, is a bit eccentric at first, and speaks her mind—sometimes in a crude way, adding to the F-word count—but her husband’s traumatic death and her own depression legitimizes this

Together Bobby and Tiffany learn to channel their emotions into a dance competition, an unusual sight in a romantic comedy/drama, with Bobby’s high-energy family (including Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver) cheering them on.

The curse words may be a turn-off for many, but they certainly aren’t used extraneously. Tiffany shouts at Bobby’s father, Pat (De Niro) when he naively speaks out against her relationship with Bobby, and some swearing is involved in her righteously-angry speech. It is not in her character to be sweet and quiet, but be brutally honest, coarse, and even crude at times.

The same goes for Bobby, who had to be admitted to a mental hospital after his wife’s infidelity sent him into a downward spiral. His emotions are off-kilter; he seems to have difficulty fitting in with some social standards. For example, he goes running in a garbage-bag-vest, and reads Hemmingway at three in the morning. It would not be in character for him to by shy and polite, either, and it is pretty funny to see him throw A Farewell to Arms out the window in a bout of rage.

A salty-tongued movie does not guarantee that it is a bad movie. I could write a character who swears like a sailor, but this does not mean I condone such behavior in my own life.  Still, people who are sensitive for more crude language should reconsider before seeing this movie.

As for me, I will be rooting for this film to win Best Picture, Best Actor (Cooper), Best Actress (Lawrence), and Best Adapted Screenplay (David O. Russell) at this year’s Academy Awards. I’d give Silver Linings Playbook 4/4 Paws.