The Road Ahead

Here we are. An election cycle that began with spirited optimism has ended, not with a bang but with a whimper. The Republican Party had all the stars aligned: an incumbent president coming off the weakest economic recovery since the great depression, a foreign policy debacle weeks before election day, and popular exhaustion with the “powers that be.” So what happened? How did President Obama earn a second term?

Despite the opinion of many on the left, Mitt Romney was not an exceptionally weak candidate. His record as a businessman and governor were not what finished him. His policies were the moderate approach that many Americans have been clamoring for. And without a doubt, the man could rock a giant flag pin. Mitt Romney would have been a great president, and in another time he would have been a great presidential candidate. As much as Republicans are rushing to throw him under the bus, Mitt Romney alone did not lose this election.

In fact, despite the GOP’s numerous missteps, 2012 was not an unforced error. The Democrats won, not because the Republicans ran a poor race, but because they ran a better one. And the pundits blaming a lack of social media and hip, rad web videos fundamentally misunderstand the problem.

Today’s Democratic party is a master of the relatively new art of identity politics. Identity politics tailors campaign tactics and policy to key demographics, which then feel  loyalty to the party. Democrats have billed themselves the party of women, minorities, homosexuals, and youth. And it’s working.

While Republicans were busy losing the argument that your race, sex, or creed shouldn’t determine your vote, Democrats were building lasting relationships with future key voting blocs. There’s a reason that the President won 93% of the black vote, 71% of the Latino vote, and 60% of the youth vote.

President Obama is an exceptionally skilled politician, but the formula could be repeated by even the weakest Republican out there. It just requires time. The GOP cannot rely on soccer moms and veterans any more. It needs to aggressively target new demographics, new voting blocs, and new voters. Luckily, we have some brand new party standard bearers to lead us into this brave new world.

The first demographic that Republicans should be pursuing is the Latino vote. Hispanics are natural Republicans, between their rigorous work ethic, religious tendencies, and current economic turmoil. The Latino community is ready for a republican revolution. Democrats have done an incredible job pushing the narrative that the Republican party is somehow against Hispanics because of their stance on immigration. In order to combat this warped perspective, the GOP needs to cool down the vitriol against illegal immigrants, and send in a politician with some credibility in the Latino community. Enter, Marco Rubio. A second generation Cuban-American Senator from Florida, passionately conservative, well spoken, making the case for conservatism across the country. Virtually every Republican agrees that Senator Rubio is a future superstar who can help lead the party to success in Hispanic circles.

Republicans also have great potential for a relationship with the working class. A message of self empowerment and economic opportunity should resonate abundantly with blue collar men and women, watching football at the bar and griping about their union leader. Meet Chris Christie, loud, proud governor of the great state of New Jersey. He’s proven his leadership ability during Hurricane Sandy. He’s proven his bipartisan popularity in a blue state, and proven his conservative credentials time and time again. He’s the kind of tough guy, man of the world politician that the country’s factory workers, miners, and fellow Bruce Springsteen super fans can fall behind.

On college campuses all across the country, Republican is a four letter word. But there’s a youth demographic that loves four letter words, and they need to be engaged. Republicans want to become cool again? Go after the bro vote. Greek row is a republican wonderland, and they’ve already got their hero. Paul Ryan, a Delta Tau Delta from Miami of Ohio has proved his leadership again and again as the 2012 vice presidential candidate and the closest thing Republicans have to an exciting leader in congress. The guy was a soccer star, student council chief executive, and prom king in high school. Young bros would follow him into battle, which would be a good call considering his hunting skills.

Republicans are worming their way into new circles, but they’ve got to start now. Democratic loyalties have been built over years and won’t be easy to combat. The GOP has got to take the campaign to the House floor and to the streets, building credibility in the next four years to come back strong in 2016. We can do it.