Lincoln Movie Review

Though Lincoln was two-and-a-half hours long and had a lot more dialogue than action, this Steven Spielberg production will manage to pull you in with its talented acting and directing and well-written dialogue. I was surprised at the choice of British actor, Daniel Day-Lewis, as Lincoln, but his incorporation of a low, reedy voice sounded exactly how I’ve always imagined the Abraham Lincoln’s voice.

Lincoln is biographical, but it is not a biography.  Instead of the story of Lincoln’s life, it focuses on the end of it, specifically his efforts to abolish slavery with the passage of the 13th amendment and to bring an end to the Civil War.

Lincoln had several other talented actors including Tommy Lee Jones’ riveting performance of Thaddeus Stevens, The Republican House leader during the Civil War. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was perfect as Robert Todd Lincoln.

One thing that I appreciated about this movie is that it did not portray Abraham Lincoln as the perfect man, but as a flawed individual. For example, the movie showed how he was not able to balance his family commitments with the staggering responsibility of governing a nation at war with itself. Sally Field, actress, did an impressive job portraying Mary Todd Lincoln and her mental instability after losing their son, Tad, to typhus.

My only criticism of the movie is that it felt too long.  Spielberg could have cut about twenty minutes, particularly from the end. This problem is far outweighed by the movie’s masterful performances, directing and writing.

Lincoln is a great watch, particularly for those interested in American history or those who just want to learn more about our 16th president. Lincoln is an essential watch for learning about Emancipation Proclamation and our country’s decision to outlaw the horrible crime against humanity that is slavery.