The Three A’s of WCA (Part III: Arts)

The three areas, Athletics, Academics, and the Arts, are comprised of students from all kinds of backgrounds with different passions. It’s the job of the school to provide equal opportunity for the football player to grow as for the computer genius or the painter.

Westminster has different clubs, departments, and events to cater to each of these groups of student life. However, while the school itself presents chances for students to shine in many different ways, the clubs and students within them may not get the attention they deserve.

“High school kids are far more interested in athletic talent than artistic accomplishments. We want to know who can pass and punt and look good doing it more than we care who can paint. …That’s just where the social interest lies,” said Christine Bosch, senior and president of the Art Club.

Some students would prefer a bustling, fast-paced football game over a band concert or a robotics competition. Some only attend such events or are a part of groups like the choir or JETS for a credit or to look good on a college application. However, there may be some added benefits in the arts besides the checking off a completed credit.

According to a 2005 College Board study, students taking the SAT with more than one year of an arts course had higher scores, gaining up to 34 more points on the verbal portion and 20 more points than the national average.

“Studying the arts is among the most practical things anyone can do. Without it, the only problems we could solve would be the kinds of problems that are solved more quickly and more accurately by computers.  The arts also teach group problem-solving, which is enormously important in all sorts of fields,” said Hugh Jones, head of the Fine Arts department.

There are several events and classes at Westminster for students to appreciate all that the arts have to offer. Upcoming events include Art a la Carte, the Christmas Concert for choir and band, and the fourth annual Poetry Slam early next year.

One of Westminster’s core values is that “students learn that ‘all truth is God’s truth’ in every aspect of life in and outside of school (e.g., in the Bible classroom, on the stage, on the athletic field, and in the guidance counselor’s office),” according to the official Westminster website.

Regardless of a student’s preference for the Arts, Academics, or Athletics, it is important that each field gets its due appreciation and that the God-given gifts to students in every category aren’t forgotten.