Here There Be Dragons

Each song on Night Visions tells a story, something that doesn’t typically happen with pop. There is something notable about a song with moral values. Songs such as Imagines Dragons’ hit “It’s Time” talks about not conforming, and giving up to the world. Moral values increase the richness of the lyrics. The song “Bleeding Out” talks about counting sins and taking it in as the person dies. The beauty of death is so often neglected in music.

If all songs could tell a story, and get a message across that doesn’t involve partying and getting drunk for fun, music would be more interesting and heartfelt, and this album does exactly that.

The music in this album has a great sound without being auto tuned and predictable. Each song on is unique in sound and lyrics. No two are the same. All typical pop albums have the same overproduced beat and meaningless lyrics, such as Carly Rae Jepsen’s album Kiss that was released on September 18. After listening to that, I found it mediocre and hardly worth listening to.

Imagine Dragons has a sound that can not be categorized and has hints of several genres of music. The songs are meaningful yet catchy without being annoying. It is the type of music that affects the soul and creates emotions.

Alternative music has become increasingly popular on the radio. You would never expect to hear  bands such as Fun. or songs like “Somebody That I Used to Know” on stations such as Y98 or Z107.7. Now, this is the new norm. Songs that would typically only be heard by people who are “in the know” with the music scene are now being heard by people who only know songs on the radio.

Imagine Dragons fit that bill. They have been on the radio already and were featured on the season four premiere of Glee. They are able to reach the ears of more people who may not have heard of them otherwise.

Imagine Dragons has added fuel to the fire of alternative rock. Since their start in 2009 and the release of their EP not long ago, they have begun to work their way onto the iPods of  people everywhere.

Their new album, Night Visions, was released on September 4 and has held it own in the iTunes top album list. The EP made its way to the top forty of the Billboard 200 chart after its first week, and the new album debuted at number two. Its unique sound and powerful lyrics captures the souls of music-loving teenagers.

Music is finally beginning to make a change. Alternative is taking over radio more and more as the year goes on. People are finally realizing that “Call Me Maybe” is not what music should sound like. Imagine Dragons keeps with the new trend, but it also creates timeless music that won’t go out of style.

They have managed to mix notes of classic rock into their modern sound that appeals to a larger age range as well. The songs are about humanity and the nature of people. They aren’t the typical cookie cutter music group. All bands should find inspiration from Imagine Dragons if they want to take their music to the next level.