Two Door Cinema Club Review

Quality British music is hard to come by now in America, if the band is not One Direction or the Beatles, people tend to never give it a second look. The Indie band, Two Door Cinema Club, aims to change that with their new album, Beacon. The band released their first extended play, which contains more than a single but less content then there would be in an album, Four Words To Stand On, in January of 2009. Their first full album, entitled Tourist History, arrived later that year in July, praised for its “overall standard of songwriting” by Lou Thomas of BBC Music.  Their work has been featured in media, such as the video games: Gran Turismo 5, Fifa 11, and NBA 2k 11. One of their songs, “This is the Life,” was also featured in the 2011 film, Soul Surfer. Their newest album, Beacon, was released September 4 2012. The Electro Pop sound coupled with brilliant lyrics bring back what people loved most about the band. The song “Next Year” starts the album off with a bang due to abrupt change in tempo, which leaves the listener with a good impression of what Two Door Cinema Club can provide for modern music. Alex Trimble, the lead singer of TDCC, states that the album is “me opening up” in a recent interview with NME, and the album certainly reflects it. Beacon reveals a longing to go home and the struggle to be apart of peoples lives while a traveler is away. It preaches a strong message of the brevity of life and experiences it brings. Rarely does a band of this caliber and genre come from Northern Ireland. The lyricism and tunes in this album were brilliant, and hopefully a sign of things to come.