Thanks Kobe Bryant For Teaching Us What Not To Say

The phrase ‘that’s so gay’  affects individual recipients and the community as a whole.

In elementary school, every student learns the basics of proper grammar. They know exactly what a noun is, how to modify it, and that an adjective describes it. They learn basic definitions of words that can be used to describe things. 

So why is a trend, built on nothing but ignorance and bigotry, becoming so socially acceptable? The phrase ‘that’s so gay’ is, on average, used on Twitter more than 1,500 times a day, according to thinkb4youspeak.com.  The term has become widespread and very common. It is almost viewed as appropriate and holds no shock value when said.

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard, recently gained press for screaming homophobic slurs at a referee. Roger McDowell, Atlanta Braves pitching coach, was also fined for hurling similar words at  the opposing team’s fans. It has become a part of mainstream media. 

The word ‘gay’ is defined in the dictionary as being “merry or having a lively mood.” Though when used, primarily by younger people, it has a negative connotation. It is used to say something is bad or dumb. Whether someone views homosexuality as a positive or negative way of life, it is ignorant and hurtful to use the word ‘gay’ in the wrong context. 

It dehumanizes people and can be compared to racial slurs, petty bullying, or the word ‘retarded’. It takes the name of a whole people group and makes it ‘dirty’ and something ‘gross’ to be associated with. It inadvertently condones bullying, hate crimes, and cruelty because anything that is deemed ‘okay’ to make fun of should be ‘okay’ to hate. 

Some people argue that it is just another slang word and can only be blamed on society’s tendency to cut down grammar and vocabulary.  However, just because something is common does not make it acceptable.

The n-word was originally used as a slang word for African Americans but there is absolutely no denying what the true meaning behind the term is. It was used to demean and hurt people by attacking an aspect of their life that they could not change. 

At Westminster, I find that there is almost an epidemic of gay slurs. What’s worse, in my opinion? The justification of this hateful speech. It seems as though student’s personal convictions on whether they believe homosexuality is right or wrong is at the root of it. Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin should remember they were born sinners as well—no better and no worse than someone ‘struggling’ with their sexuality. 

Hateful speech is hateful speech. There cannot be any exceptions, because once you start allowing one word, one insult, one slur to be okay, you pave the way for more words to also be added to that list. 

Christians should choose to live above petty things such as this.  How can we, who claim to be broken, messed up, disgusting people saved by grace, participate in the bashing and condemning of anybody?  Even if it is not meant to cause any harm, or if it was said on accident, most accidents do cause injuries. If “that’s so gay” was said in front of someone who was homosexual, it is unrealistic to think for even a second it would not offend them or single them out.

Not only is it dehumanizing and hurtful, it can also limit what a person, especially a young man, feels like he has the freedom to do. 

Teenagers have to take into consideration just how much the approval from peers affects their day-to-day life and choices.

Being labeled as ‘gay’ when you are, in actuality, straight, may be traumatic to a teenage boy or even a girl.  It is not uncommon for them to feel they have to do whatever they can in their power to change that perception.

According to thinkb4youspeak.com, sixty percent of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students have felt unsafe at school because of their sexual orientation, and forty-four percent have reported being physically harassed at school. 

There is no excuse for this. Regardless of sexual orientation, they are all people. People who deserve the same rights and respect as any other person. Nothing and no one can take someone’s humanity away and be in the right.