The Roomate

There was more hype than action put into the movie The Roommate. The blockbuster thriller, which opened on February 11th, promises to keep your attention, but not to put you on the edge of your seat.
The movie took place at a college campus in Los Angeles, California. The entire movie is based around a girl’s first year at college with her obsessive, crazy roommate and the things that go bump in the night. Although the movie has its own thing going for it by taking a general situation and letting people see it in a whole new light it is quite similar to other suspense thriller horror films. The person who is at the center of everything going on is the one person who does not realize what is happening until it is too late. The movie lacked in the originality category. The movie brought a very real possibility to the table and gave a what if scenario that could happen, but it was still felt like the same kind of movie based off college and partying with just a different spin on the situation. Although some things happened as you least expected it, most things happened as expected and the obsession of the roommate took obsession to a whole new level.
The biggest problem with the movie was that there have been millions of movies like it just told in a different way. The movie aimed more towards a younger crowd and it gave them a look at the college life through a suspenseful horror story.
The movie kept your attention for the time it was playing, but it was somewhat predictable and boring at times. There were a few very suspenseful scenes but others lacked the end of your seat feeling. The movie was good for what it was worth, but it is not a blockbuster hit by any means. It was fun to see it once but to see it twice would be one time too many.