One Giant City, One Giant Problem

Scared teenage girls huddle together in tight groups as they walk the streets of New Delhi, early in December. They are all terrified for their lives; afraid that at any moment they can be kidnapped, raped, and killed.

As of December 16, 2012, several cases of gang rapes had been reported to the authorities of India, but specifically in New Delhi.

Rape is now the first leading cause of death among women ages 16-25 in India. The incident generated widespread national and international coverage and was condemned by various women groups.

Due to so many cases within the last 3 months, the public authorities of India, and officials in New Delhi have been put on trial and revolted against in public riots by women who claim that there is not enough protection and safety enforced throughout the city.

These crimes reflect an alarming trend in India; which results to men as a growing business and promotes the dominant trait in men. Rape has increased 25% in six years, and New Delhi has recorded 572 rapes in 2012. Women are now beginning to stand up and speak up for their rights, and what they believe in along the lines of the rape predicament.

A local woman activist in New Delhi explained to CNN reporters, “I think it’s great that the younger generation is standing up and saying they’ve had enough. All women in India face the threat of rape in this culture,” said Nina Hishad.

So far, women, and young girls have made drastic headway in the fight against rape in India. The tragic devastations of women being abused on a daily basis are what is causing the country to fall into a downhill spiral, and plummet into a nation of despair and sexism.

However, with the help of supportive friends, and other cultures, New Delhi will be able to slowly mend the wounds that have been caused by the men and male authoritative figures in this country.

Women around New Dehli are forming “love groups”, which are goal oriented towards finding safe havens for females ranging from young girls to elderly women who are and have been consistantly rapped in the past.