A Midsummer Night’s Dream

With the winter months flying by, Westminster’s drama department prepares for another round of Shakespeare.

Last year, the company produced a classy and original production of Romeo and Juliet. This brought an enormous uproar to the audience and received rave reviews.

To continue WCA’s line up of renowned plays, the directors at Westminster are excited to take A Midsummer Night’s Dream in a brand new direction.

The vision for this play is aiming to keep the action moving forward and bringing the characters to life.

Jim Butz, drama, speech and Bible teacher, has new and fresh ideas for an offbeat version of this production. Butz is also envisioning for the cast and all students embodying the characters of Shakespeare to bring a different style to it.

“I really hope that the actors walk away with a new love for language and the theatre. In order for this show to be even remotely successful, the actors will have to work really, really hard,” said Butz.

This play represents the idea of whimsical young love, foolish comedy, and serious moments where characters must stand up for what they believe in.

There is no silver bullet or specific formula. The memorization for this play will be extremely difficult and not one for the faint hearted.

The goal behind performing Shakespeare is to help the students truly become the character that they are, not just a teenager memorizing lines.

The hope from all directors is for the audience to feel what the performers are feeling. With such a great writer as Shakespeare,  the stakes are high for this play to kick off as a success.

“The pressure is on, and it’s really hard to memorize lines,” said Anna Hagan, sophomore.

Furthermore, when it comes to figuring out costumes, blocking scenes on stage or truly becoming the character, Westminster hopes  that the audience is able to bring home with them the magical story that is A Midsummer Night’s Dream.