Congo Mission Network

As the average Westminster Christian Academy student begrudgingly shuffles to class inside a campus worth millions, countless children deep in the capital city of the Republic of the Congo roam the streets, unable to afford to attend the neighborhood school.

In Kinshasa, Congo the youth are no stranger to the horrific disparities in their nation. Nothing is hidden from their eyes or swept under the blanket. Every day when they walk outside their homes, if they are privileged enough to have one, they are faced with the overwhelming need of their people.

For over fifteen years, the city has been in and out of war and conflict. It has shaken the very infrastructure of the country and resulted in the death of millions of innocent citizens. The government has been of no help and has in fact, done more harm than good. They have totally disregarded the cry of the people.  A number of tyrannical dictators have risen to power, only to strip the country of its natural resources and send the Congo back into the seemingly never-ending cycle of poverty and violence.

Currently, about 90 percent of Congolese adults are unemployed, according to the Congolese Mission Network. The people are out of work and with a corrupt government in place, it does not seem as though this percentage is on its way down.

But even with unemployment at a jaw-dropping high and poverty sweeping through the nation, the overwhelming plea of the people is still for the education of the young people. Education will keep the children of the Congo out of the streets, away from drugs and stop the growing human trafficking population from growing anymore. Education will allow the children to create a new generation that will be able to stop the wars, restore the country and bring jobs back into the nation. Education could be the saving grace of the Congo but right now, education is out of reach for most children.

There is no public schooling in the Congo. Each family is responsible for getting their children into a school but for many this is an unachievable goal. The average monthly cost of schooling ranges from $5-10 dollars per student. This may seem like a miniscule sum to those in America but by African standards, this is a hefty fee when the average household makes only about $80-100 dollars per month.

Though many parents might want to send their children to school, they may not be able to fit the cost into their small budgets. If the parents and the government of the Congo cannot get the children into the classrooms, there are only a few logical sources left.

New City Fellowship, a local Christian church, believes that one of the most logical sources to seek aid from is a body of Christian believers. This church community has taken it upon themselves to form the Congo Mission Network, a Christian organization that is “committed to advancing the work of the kingdom of God” in the Congo.” They partner with other churches who work to bring medical care, food and education to the Congo.

As a church, they currently send around $30,000 dollars to the Congo and are looking to continue to open the doors for other churches and groups to get involved and help, as well.

The church currently supports and has been helpful in creating three schools in the Congo. The best part about these educational centers is that they are Christ-based and church affiliated so not only are the students educated in math, science, and English but also, in the word of God.

Westminster has started conversations with New City Fellowship and pastors from the Congo about beginning relationships with these schools.

Jim Marsh, Head of School, invited the pastor of New City Fellowship, Barry Henning and three Congolese pastors into the school to hear their stories and inquire about how WCA can be of assistance in their projects.

The comittee in charge of ITSOG are also in talks about making the Congo Mission Network a charity that will be supported this year.

If Westminster were to partner with New City and the Congo Mission Network, the students in the Congo would most certainly be blessed but the students at WCA would most certainly be blessed in return. The school is not connected to any one organization or charity. The student body would have a chance to come together on the common ground that all children deserve the same opportunity to be educated and cared for as they are in America.

The children in the Congo are in great need and in a school where there is so much, there is nothing wrong with reaching out to help others.

Westminster has always been a community that recognizes that there are others outside of their walls that are in need of the word of God and support from their brother’s and sister’s in Christ.

As the school’s faculty and staff continue to talk, it will hopefully ignite the student body to join in and give, as well.