Bigger and Better; a Good Challenge

Building up a healthy community is not an easy task.  Westminster has been trying to do just this for many years.  While WCA has definitely created a sense of community, through  events that take place both inside Westminster’s walls and outside of Westminster, one might ask: Is there the possibility of too much community?

PAW (Parents Advancing Westminster) is a group of volunteer parents that try to promote a greater sense community at Westminster.

“PAW hosts a number of community building events for parents throughout the school year.  Each class has a parent or parents serving as the class activities leader(s).  We are hoping to build parent-to-parent relationships as well as parent-to-faculty relationships,” said Peggy  Johnson, director of admissions.

Westminster leaders are trying to create a good, Christian community through many different programs and events that take place outside of the school building.

“The freshmen class [parent leaders] are hosting many events such as the Book club, which meets on the second Monday of every month at McAlister’s Deli, where parents discuss a book.  The Jog and Java meeting encourages parents to take time to catch up with friends and make some new ones,” said  Johnson.

There are also many community events that take place on Westminster’s campus.

“The coffee bar is a new program launched by PAW to focus on growing community among parents and faculty.  The Freshman Parent Social is hosted at homes where freshman parents get to know other freshman parents. The tailgate party on the plaza brings together freshman families in order to support the freshman football team, and reconnect with other families”, said Johnson.

Other ways that Westminster has been able to create a parent-student, parent-parent, and parent-faculty community is through volunteer opportunities at WCA.

“Volunteering opportunities are another great way for parents to build community while supporting the school.  The bookstore, welcome desk, concessions and testing center are just a few places where parents volunteer and serve one another,” said Johnson.

Many people are happy that emphasis on parents, faculty, and students forging a strong community has been made at Westminster.

“Building a community is very important for a Christian school.  I think it is good for everyone in the school to get to know everyone better and Westminster has been able to do this well,” said Grant Kitchens, junior.

While all these community events can have a great impact on our school there are some that believe that to much community within the Westminster walls could be a bad thing.

“While I think building a community can be a good thing, I would prefer not having my mom or dad watching over me at Westminster,” said Andrew Cannon, junior.

Westminster’s community has grown greatly over the years.  Parents are now a large part of the community.  Some students might enjoy having their parents at Westminster during the school day, but others would rather have their school lives to themselves.

Westminster is always trying to do what is best for the school, but challenges always exist.

Family members know that sometimes it is  just nice to get out of the house for a while.  The same could be said about WCA.  Every community has challenges, not necessarily ones to shy  away from, but challenges nonetheless.