Behind the Curtain

Westminster’s production of The Secret Garden debuts on October 18, 19, and 20 at 7 p.m. in the Theatre, and many hands have gone into making this production an unforgettable experience.

“My favorite part about the show is definitely the music itself. It all has a very haunting tone and the harmonies are so rich,” said Hannah Geisz, sophomore.

A lot of work goes into keeping the style and songs pitch-perfect for audiences. Orchestra members, choir members, as well as those on the dance team helped the musical to reach its full potential.

Allen Schwamb, director of Concert Choir and Mixed Chorus, is in charge of blocking and directing the music in this production, while Hugh Jones, band director, conducts the orchestra and assists soloists.

“This musical is more serious than the last one and requires more acting. With that it is a more challenging and rewarding show I think and will be just as good or even better then last year’s,” said Brenden Solomon, senior.

Last year’s musical Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat was more lighthearted in this production—while Joseph had a colorful coat, an Elvis-pharaoh, and upbeat songs, The Secret Garden features a two-story set, ghosts, and a somber score.

The show, which won the 1991 Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical, includes a new talent, a large cast of sophomores, and Mark Geisz, a sixth grader.

“Mr. Schwamb needed a young voice for the role of Colin, so he held auditions for a bunch of sixth graders, and it ended up that my brother would be playing the role of my cousin,” said Geisz.

Many cast members have worked together in Westminster productions in the past, which leads to a cooperative and friendly environment for performers.

The Set Club has also been working behind the scenes, meeting every day after school to build trees, picture frames, and even a house to create the right mood for this musical.

In addition, the actors, too, have to set the tone by playing characters from a different time and place, and with that comes a few challenges.

“People love to laugh at me because [my Yorkshire accent] always ends up sounding Indian or Jamaican, so hopefully I get it down before the show premieres,” said Solomon.

The cast has been working through tough accents, complicated sets, and new music, but cast members say that the experience is worth the effort.

“All of us in the production love to be on stage and bring joy to other people… it’s what we like to do,” said Mary Heyl, sophomore.

Tickets for The Secret Garden will be available for purchase in the Book Store.