Rewarded For Hard Work

Every year a chosen group of middle school students are rewarded for their hard work in school by being enrolled into the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS).   NJHS is a privilege for many middle-school students and it is a great way of bringing praise to the students that have worked hard in school throughout their-middle school career.

Honoring the students for their hard work is not the only reason why NJHS was started.

Mr. Walseth, who is in charge of NJHS, said, “NJHS highlights and encourages students who are and who desire to pursue academic excellence. This is truly to encourage students to not only pursue academic excellence but to do it for the love of learning.”

Being accepted into NJHS is not an easy task.  There are many requirements that need to be reached for a middle school student to be accepted into NJHS.

“A 3.75 cumulative GPA and an essay describing their desire to be involved with NJHS are the requirements to be accepted,” said Mr. Walseth.

Once accepted in NJHS new tasks are added to the schedule of these students.

“Students must serve 3 hours of service work in their community each semester. Students serve in various environments such as soup kitchens, nursing homes, and other service projects,” said Mr. Walseth.

For middle school students, the acceptance into  NJHS can mean a lot.

“It’s truly an honor to be accepted into NJHS, especially with my dyslexia and dysgraphia,” said Robert Davis, an eighth grader who was recently accepted into NJHS.

Often times, when a student is accepted into  NJHS this student feels as if all his or her hard work in school has paid off.

“I feel that NJHS  does give me the honor that I deserve for working hard for my grades, but the true reward for studying hard for me is getting a wide perspective on life in general, which will help me choose a career path.  But it is always nice to be rewarded for your hard work and NJHS does that,” said Davis.

These new NJHS inductees are excited and ready to complete their new tasks ahead of them.  They have all worked hard to receive the honor of being an inductee into NJHS and they all receive the honor they deserve for their hard work through their acceptance into this elite group of students.