Fast Cars and Endless Opportunities

The Pagani Huayra is one cool ride. With an insane power output of 739 horse power generated by a V12 engine and light weight frame (all told, the car weighs less than 3,000 pounds), the Huayra is a complete monster. And a fast monster — 0-60 in 3 seconds and a top speed of 233 miles per hour.

Whereas the aerodynamic exterior features carbon fiber, gull wing doors and intakes and appears to be designed and built by NASA; the interior is crafted by a watch company. The result? A custom interior and sleek exterior in a rare mid-engine Italian super car with a price that exceeds one-million dollars (base model).

In addition to this super car’s tremendous price tag, between the years of 2012 and 2013, only seventy-five models will be manufactured. Therefore, a Huayra roaring past someone on a highway is an extremely rare sight, and most Westminster students will never see one in person.

However, this does not have to be the case. Westminster’s new investments in engineering curriculum is opening up a world of opportunities, a vast number of lucrative jobs, and maybe even one that offers hands-on contact with a Pagani Huayra. Curriculums and activities such as STEM, FRC, and special courses are contributing to the knowledge Westminster students attain in the field of engineering.

From a jobs perspective, more and more engineering careers are becoming available. As the world economy grows and more people throughout the world enter the middle class, growth in demand for automobiles is expected to grow.

The result is jobs for engineering are countless; in fact, the U.S. has a shortage of engineers.

“There’s a huge demand around this country for engineers… Where you’re seeing a lot of specialized demand is in engineering that’s related to the high-tech industries,” said President Obama during a Google Plus video conference, January 30, 2012.

Engineering careers can be quite lucrative. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average engineering job’s salary exceeds $55,000 a year.

“These (engineering) jobs are very, very high paying jobs,” said Bill Gates, founder, CEO, and chairman of Microsoft as he urged the U.S. Congress to allow foreign engineers into the U.S.

What’s more is anyone pursuing such a career is able to contribute to masterpieces, whether it is a Pagani Huayra, Lamborghini, the latest iPhone, or a computer. Engineers shape the world.

Westminster is providing engineering specialities, including the STEM program, FRC, the Introduction to Engineering class, and the Advanced Scientific Research class, for students that allow them to tap into engineering and technology-the very influences that shape everyone’s daily life. It is supplying bright futures for students, but also adding Christian influence to an industry that is reshaping the world.

So, engineering jobs offer availability, good pay, hands-on interaction, and contribution to masterpieces that will reshape the world; what more could someone ask for in a career?

With many engineering and technology programs becoming available, Westminster is becoming a factory of Christian adults that will reshape the world.