A Piece of Cake

Whether it takes too much time, makes a huge mess,  or requires too much artistic ability, cake baking is a rare talent among teenagers.

Exceeding the normal, Adrienne Horn, freshman, crafts and perfects cakes as a hobby and a commonplace.

“I have never heard of any other person my age making cakes like me, but I am sure there are some out there. I do think it is pretty rare though,” said Horn.

Horn’s baking expertise radiates with uniqueness, but baking and decorating cake was not always  easy as pie; one must start somewhere.

“I first watched people on TV   doing it and thought it looked super fun to do so I decided to teach myself how to, and I learned by watching youtube videos and trial and error,” said Horn.

Subsequently, Horn’s cake baking talents and enthusiasm arose. Horn can draw things on cakes that most cannot even draw on paper.

With the talent and the patience it takes to turn a plain cake into an embellished masterpiece, Horn could possibly have a future in the business.

“I would love to make this my profession because I enjoy it so much,” said Horn.

Although the economy has negatively affected many job markets, customized cakes is still a great and successful profession because people still pay good money for a professionally and delightfully crafted cake for special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, and other holidays.

Although designing cakes does pay good money, Horn is not necessarily in it for money; she simply loves crafting cakes for her own enjoyment and for others’  enjoyment.

“Making cakes is much more tedious than some people think of it to be, but it almost works as a stress reliever for me. I sit down with a bare white cake as my canvas and I can design whatever I want on it, unless it is custom ordered. There is no limit to what can be done to make cakes look so life-like. I can pipe intricate designs or airbrush it to look like a sunset or really whatever,” said Horn.

Baking cakes is one thing, but eating cake is a whole other story.  Every teenager loves a good piece of cake and although most teens have never professionally decorated a cake, when a cake comes out, teens fight over who gets the best or most pieces.

“I make cakes about once every week or two and bring them into school,” said Horn.

After hours of slaving over the masterpiece, seeing her friends enjoy her work is like icing on the cake.

“When it’s all said and done, it’s how others enjoy what I make and watching others enjoy my cakes just brings me reassurance that I am doing the right thing,” said Horn.