Suffering Soldiers

eneath their feet, piercing noises tormenting their minds, blood splattering their filthy skin, bullets penetrating through thick, worn uniforms, cold sweat dripping down their faces: the gruesome brutalities of war haunt the minds and memories of soldiers.

As soldiers return home, they are expected to pick back up in their lives where they left off before they were deployed overseas or to fight in the war. Many of the men and women have watched some of their best friends die next to them and have seen horrific events that most American citizen’s minds cannot even comprehend.

Some become physically wounded and suffer from the repercussions of those injuries, but the most common problems soldiers face are the mental traumas from replaying events they experienced in their minds. They have flash backs and their once normal lives become not so normal anymore. New worries and fears weave their way into their every day lives. Regular sounds and sights can stir up emotions within the soldiers and remind them of past events.

The issue of wounded soldiers has become very prevalent because all of the United State’s troops have been brought out of Iraq and many are being taken out of Afghanistan. With all of the men and women  returning home, more veterans are needing aid than many times in the past for them to be able to go back to a typical civilian’s life.

Especially with the soldiers coming back in masses, the need for people willing to help has grown immensely.

Because these soldiers are willing to go off to war to fight and ensure the safety of the country, they should be taken care of once they get home and be provided with whatever resources are needed to help them cope with their struggles and get better. Soldiers fight so that people can go about their regular activities and not worry about their safety. That is a big gift so the least everyone else can do is help them rebuild their lives when they come home.

Many of the wounded warriors have families that they have to come home to and have to be a husband or wife to their spouse and a dad or mom to their kids. They cannot fill those roles if they are suffering from the war and are not getting the help they need. The American society as a whole suffers if these soldiers can not carry on after fighting.

More organizations and groups need to get involved in helping these soldiers by raising money for counseling and medical attention. Also, they can help by reaching out to the soldiers and their families so that they do not have to feel alone through the recovery process.

The Wounded Warrior Project focuses on helping soldiers that come home physically hurt or struggling to get back to a normal life that they are used to.

The mission of the project is “to foster the most successful, well- adjusted generation of the wounded service members in our nation’s history.” If people saw this mission as important as they view having a military, then caring for soldiers would be more of a priority.

Many responsibilities come with having a military, and one of those is taking care of the veterans.

“The greatest casualty is being forgotten” and that is the focus that The Wounded Warrior Project is built on. They do not want any soldiers that go into war sacrificing everything they know and love to ever fear they will be forgotten, but will instead go down as a hero when they eventually pass away. The best way to show that they will not be forgotten is to show them that they matter even when their bodies or minds cannot handle another day in battle.

In addition to organizations like Wounded Warriors, the government funding has helped over 9.5 million service members and continues to work to increase funding to help wounded soldiers and their families. 30.9 billion dollars is set aside for overall medical care for soldiers and 699 million dollars is provided for treatment for soldiers with traumatic brain injuries and that need help with their psychological health. 250 million dollars has been added to help soldier’s mental health with post traumatic stress and suicide prevention.

Billions of dollars are being used by the government to help soldiers struggling after the war, but operations and procedures are very expensive and with the amount of hurt soldiers that amount of money is not enough. There are still many soldiers fighting to recover from the war that need more counseling and medical attention than they are receiving.