A New Routine for the Class of 2015

WCA’s current eighth grade students will have a different high school experience due to the new campus and the usual rites of passage.

New beginnings. New perspectives. New status.  As the year closes, eighth grade students brace themselves for the fierce ride called high school, being the first class to experience the typical “public school transition” from their junior high building to the one of high school. But not only are changes coming for these students, but also for all of upper school as well.

As WCA prepares for their departure from 10900 Ladue Road, they not only ready themselves for a new campus, but an even more desirable academic program for both upper and middle school.  However, as few sorrowful good-byes are said to the class of 2011, and as next year comes around, a new inclusion of students are added on to the high school – the class of 2015. 

Although the typical changes are expected from the transition of middle school to high school, even more are to be seen not only for the future ninth grade class but also for the current high school students.  These include two separate lunch periods, more commons areas throughout the school, and even more technology usage is to be expected.  For the 2015 class, their semester history course will be integrated with the use of computers.

Although many academic changes are to be made, the atmosphere and social aspects of Westminster will be changed as well.           

“I’m really excited for the barista we are going to have,” said Ashlyn Wiggins, eighth grade.

Yet as the eighth grade students turn to say good-bye to their middle school past, there are some aspects of their class the students are sad to leave behind.

“Out of all the things in middle school, I think I’ll miss the teachers the most,” said Wiggins.

Although their teachers will be missed, the typical conversion from middle school to high school is anticipated. 

“In high school, we’ll have more freedom,” said Wiggins.

But with more freedom more responsibility comes, as the cliche states.

“I’m sort of nervous about the homework because everyone says it’ll be harder and there’ll be more of it,” said Erika Wilson, eighth grade.

Once students enter the world of Upper School, the athletics program is stepped up a notch and people have the opportunity to perform in tournaments and other competitions.

“I made Varsity Dance team, so that’s really exciting for me,” said Brittany Hayes, eighth grade.

But as the eighth grade class looks forward to the future, they also enjoyably remember past experiences.  

“I really enjoyed Lip Sync because of all the fun we had performing and practicing the routines,” said Wilson.

However, there are some special events the students partake in that only apply to the eighth grade class – events that are many times the most memorable to the students.

“My favorite memory was of this year’s Peer Counselor trip. Last year [seventh grade] we went on one, but no one really knew each other.  It was more fun this year because we were able to go with friends,” said Morgan Winklemeier, eighth grade.

Yet the annual Peer Counselor Retreat was not the only field trip appreciated.

“At the end of this year, our class sort of split up, some staying at school to do other activities while others went out to do a World War II reenactment. I was able to stay here with my friends and mess around with things – basically just hang out,” said Wiggins.

As the 2011–2012 school year comes to an end, the eighth grade may say their farewells to their past middle school life and look forward to the future high school will soon bring to them.