To See The Sun Again

A single person’s tears often calls the attention of a fellow neighbor; a nation weeping draws the notice of the entire world. Violent storms; raging wars; unforgiving hunger – all are common occurrences within planet Earth. When a tragic earthquake and tsunami struck Japan, people from all backgrounds rushed to bring aid to the Land of the Rising Sun, helping the country see the light of hope.
On Friday, March 11, 2011, an earthquake of a 9.0 magnitude transpired near the coast of Honshu, Japan. Soon after, tsunamis, triggered by the earthquake, rushed into the island country, completely obliterating cities along the coast, and has the nation mourning with its more than 28000 people dead or missing. When things seemed to be finally getting better, another earthquake of a 7.1 magnitude occurred again off the coast of Honshu on Thursday, April 7, 201 followed by another earthquake of a 6.3 magnitude on Tuesday, April 12, 2011. Such devastation has encompassed Japan, even pushing them into a nuclear crisis.
However, people are not sitting around, passively resisting action. Rather, they are finding ways to help through donating to various organizations such as the Red Cross, Save the Children, Food for the Hungry, and other such charities. Even Hollywood has found ways to get involved.
Celebrities such as Demi Lovato, Sandra Bullock, and Gwen Stefani have pulled out their checkbooks and donated their own pocket money to help fund relief in Japan. Other celebrities have also made an effort to get the community involved by designing clothing items to sell to the public with the proceeds going to Japan. Lady Gaga designed a white bracelet with red lettering that reads “We Pray for Japan” in both English and Japanese that can be purchased on her website for five dollars.
As of March 23, 2011, Gwen Stefani not only donated one million dollars to the Japan Earthquake-Tsunami Children in Emergency Fund, but also created a forty dollar t-shirt for which the proceeds will go to Japan.
“I’ve been inspired by Japan for many years and have a true love, appreciation, and respect for the Japanese people and their culture. The disaster in Japan is beyond heartbreaking and I want to do anything I can to help,” said Stefani.
Companies such as Apple have also worked to send relief effort to Japan. ITunes compiled a series of thirty-eight songs from artists such as Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, Norah Jones, and U2. The album, which can be purchased on ITunes for only $9.99, will donate its profit to Japan.
Because news of Japan is commonly heard on radio stations, TV channels, and in newspapers and magazines, the awareness of Japan’s great need has touched other’s lives, including celebrities.
“For some of the celebrities, I’m not really shocked – they seem really deep. But other celebrities I haven’t expected them to care, yet it makes me happy at the same time that others care about people halfway around the world,” said Bryn Mackie, junior.
While some may think all of the donations made by people are extremely helpful, others believe it may not be beneficial.
“It’s good to know they want to give, but personally I think they are just the middle man to the relief effort,” said Justine Doiron, junior.
However one’s efforts may be, in the end, everyone unites whether it be celebrities, the average American citizen, or companies and organizations. Yet it as Mackie said – everyone seems to come together in time of great chaos, uniting to ease their fellow nation’s pain, wiping away the tears of those that were broken hearted.