Heads Up Hollywood

Nutcrackerphoto © 2010 Abhijeet Rane | more info (via: Wylio)
A sold out audience, with one shot to get it right.  As the crowd falls silent the dancers tiptoe out onto the stage.  Hannah Gilmore, eighth grader, is taking her dancing career to new heights.

Gilmore is joining The Joffrey Ballet on stage at The Fox Theatre through Sunday December 2nd through the 5th. The entire production in general will run through the 6th of December.  Two performances will take place in the evening and the third will be in the early afternoon. The Joffrey Ballet will be performing the Nutcracker. This production is a very special Christmas event and it is a performance for all ages.

“My sister was in this production first so that’s how I heard of it, and I decided that I wanted to try it out too” Gilmore.

The audition process was the beginning step to take her dancing career to new heights.  The auditions took place on Sunday, September 20.

“About one hundred girls auditioned in my height group. We warmed up and they gave us a short routine to practice. We preformed it for three people in groups of five to ten people. We preformed it many times and it was very tiring and long” Gilmore.

The production is full of people of all ages.  The adult Joffrey ballet members were given the principal roles, while the kids perform the smaller roles.

Gilmore, who is a mouse, will be performing in the battle song. Each part has a different practice schedule, Gilmore practices every one Friday. As a mouse she has been practicing once a week for the past couple of weeks

“ It was a lot of hard work and we didn’t get many breaks in between,” said Gilmore.

Gilmore said she would defiantly do it again if she could, and it has helped a lot when it comes to her dancing. She has been dancing since first grade, and thinks that this experience really helped her grow as a dancer.