Back to School Blues

If summer ended too soon check out these local sites to bring it back.

School is back in session, but that does not mean that summer activities have to end.  These local attractions keep the summer spirit alive through September. 

For ice cream that perfectly compliments St. Louis’s hot August and September weather, visit Eugene’s Custard Company in the Town and Country Crossing by the intersection of Clayton and Woodsmill Road.  With their 50’s diner inspired atmosphere, they serve up sundaes such as The Elvis and Route 66 as well as smoothies and cakes. 

For something more substantial, check out Surf Dogs in the Chesterfield Valley where one can enjoy beach-inspired food such as the Tropical Pulled Pork Sandwich, the original Surf Dog hot dog, the Big Kahuna, and Key Lime Pie from the Florida Keys. 

With a full belly, one can experience a variety of festivals.  On September 17-18, Forest Park will be the site of the annual Great Balloon Race.  Though some have experienced this before, it is a St. Louis tradition.  This event brings 70 balloonists from all over the country together to race on Saturday, but the fun even begins the night before during the Balloon Glow.  The Balloon Glow is when the balloonists inflate their balloons in the dark but remain stationary.  There are other attractions during these events as well such as the “hound and hare” balloon race and activities for children.  All of these activities are free.  In addition, Saturday night concludes with fireworks.

Another place to experience a St. Louis tradition is at the Art Fair on September 10-12 in Downtown Clayton.  In the 2007 Harris List of the best fine art fairs and craft shows, this fair was ranked fifth in the nation.  This fair not only highlights artists from around the country, but has contests, featured food from the Clayton area, music performances, classes for adults, and activities for younger members of the family.  For more information on the events and a sampling of the work that will be displayed, visit www.culturalfestivals.com.

Lastly, on September 11-12, the Scott Air Force Base is hosting its annual air show.  Featured this year are the Navy’s Blue Angels who will perform spectacular stunts.  In addition, the Golden Knights will be performing a sky diving act.  There are several other shows featuring a variety of aircraft including a B-2 bomber, one of the most modern aircraft to date. 

So, even after a dragging school day is completed, St. Louis still has many chances for students to enjoy their last bits of summer.