No One Trick Pony

Seven players on the field, one Frisbee and the goal to reach the end zone, explains the intense game of Ultimate Frisbee. Abigail Karsten, an Upper and Middle school geometry teacher has played the game of Ultimate Frisbee since 2000.
Ultimate is a thrilling, non-contact team sport that is a mix between soccer, football and basketball. Each player on the team is required to have a great amount of agility, speed and brains.
The game is played with two teams on the field, both wanting to get the disc in their respective end zone. The way the teams set up to start the game is similar to American football; each team starts in the other team’s zone. As one receives the Frisbee, their feet have to stay planted in the ground. If that player runs with the Frisbee, possession of the game is given to the opposing team. The Frisbee is passed downfield until the opposing team catches the disc or causes it to fall to the ground.
Karsten plays the position called the “offensive cutter.” The offensive part of the title means that she plays on the field when the team is on offense. The cutter means that her starting point is more downfield. She often runs long to try and catch the Frisbee in the endzone or she may run towards the Frisbee to help keep advancing it downfield.
“It involves a lot of running and teamwork with a good amount of strategy and skill,” said Karsten.
The game of ultimate is not the simple or easy walk on sport. If one wants to play, they have to be dedicated and always prepared to learn and work hard. Ultimate is unique in that it is refereed by the players on the field. The game is known for not having referees ever, even at World Championship levels. That is what makes the game what it is; the “spirit of the game” rule requires players to have good-sportsmanship and strong teamwork.
“The honesty and integrity that comes from the ‘Spirit of the game’ has a big impact on how the game is played,” said Karsten.
Karsten’s team of twenty-seven players practices every Tuesday night at Forrest Park. Some members of the team don’t live in town so they also practice on weekends. Their practices include running, throwing and catching drills, along with many scrimmages where they strategize offensive and defensive plays.