Moorea Atkins

The Vibe Zone

Some music recommendations for your next project!

I love listening to music when I work on art projects. I think it’s essential to listen to music when you work on art, it helps fuel the creative juices. So today I am going to share with you some of my favorite bands and artists to listen to when I work depending on how I’m feeling. 

Tom Petty: If you like country, relatable lyrics and storytelling, cool guitars, and overall nice relaxing music, you’ll like Tom Petty. I like Tom Petty when I’m in a happy mood, it just adds to the good vibes. Great for a bright sunny day.

My favorites: “American Girl” (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers), “A Thing About You” (Hard Promises), “Even The Losers” (Damn the Torpedoes), “Don’t Come Around Here No More” (Southern Accents), “You Don’t Know How It Feels” (Wildflowers) 

Van Halen: Van Halen is one of those bands that make you want to turn the music all the way up. If you don’t, you won’t get the full experience. Van Halen is great for anytime you need something to give you a slight edge to your attitude, or to simply wake you up in the morning. I’d recommend the David Lee Roth era (1978-1985) for the real Van Halen experience, but the Sammy Hagar era (1986-1996) is less awesome but still pretty good. 

My favorites: “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love” (Van Halen), “Dance The Night Away” (Van Halen II), “Mean Street” (Fair Warning), “Panama” (1984), “5150” (5150)

Pearl Jam: Personally, I’m a bit of a huge supporter of Pearl Jam over Nirvana when it comes to grunge. Something about Eddie Vedder and his songwriting just hits me in all the feels. If you want something a little different, a bit heavier at times, and music to touch you emotionally in places where you didn’t think you could be, Pearl Jam is the band for you. 

My favorites: “Even Flow” (Ten), “Black” (Ten – nah, just listen to the entire album, the whole thing is incredible), “Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town” (Versus), “Nothingman” (Vitalogy), “Given to Fly” (Yield)

Boston: I can’t think of a single Boston song that isn’t good. Honestly their first three albums are nothing but top tier rock n roll. If you’re looking for a good time, Boston is your band. 

My favorites: “More Than A Feeling” (Boston), “Rock n Roll Band” (Boston), “Don’t Look Back” (Don’t Look Back), “Amanda” (Third Stage), “I Think I Like It” (Third Stage), “Can’tcha Say (You Believe In Me)” (Third Stage)

Journey: One of the best power ballad bands of the 80s (and probably ever) Journey is one of those bands that I just can never get enough of. Journey is great if you’re in a romantic mood, or just want some pop rock vibes. Steve Perry’s vocals are also to die for. 

My favorites: “Anytime” (Infinity), “Daydream” (Evolution), “Stone In Love” (Escape), “Faithfully” (Frontiers), “Separate Ways” (Frontiers), “Be Good To Yourself” (Raised On Radio) 

Def Leppard: If you’ve read my previous blog about Rick Allen, you know how I love Def Leppard. In the mood for some classic British hard rock/metal? Or just want some awesome songs to add to your playlists? Def Leppard is the move for you. Get ready to rock. 

My favorites: “Lady Strange” (High ‘N Dry), “Photograph” (Pyromania), “Rock of Ages” (Pyromania), “Animal” (Hysteria), “Love Bites” (Hysteria), “Let’s Get Rocked” (Adrenalize) 

Pink Floyd: The most chill vibes around when it comes to rock. David Gilmour does some amazing guitar solos on the albums in the 70s. Pink Floyd is great for when you are tired or it’s early in the morning or late at night. I have also taken long drives listening to their albums, and fallen asleep to it at night. It’s very restful and overall Pink Floyd is such a good vibe, you honestly just have to experience it for yourself.

My favorites: “A Pillow of Winds” (Meddle), “Echoes” (Meddle) “Comfortably Numb” (The Wall), “If” (Atom Heart Mother), the entirety of Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here

Guns ‘N Roses: Need some adrenaline filled, insane guitar solos, so mind blowingly awesome it makes you want to scream and play air guitar rock? Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven have got your back. I say you can never have too much Guns ‘N Roses in your life. I should know, I listen to them all the time and I’ve never once gotten tired of it.

My favorites: The entire Appetite For Destruction album, though “Sweet Child ‘O Mine,” “Paradise City,” and “Welcome To The Jungle” are definitely the best tracks.

James Taylor: Sometimes all you need is a story and a guitar to be a great entertainer. James Taylor is just that. With his smooth voice, clever stories, and folk infused soft rock, James Taylor is the perfect music for a nice relaxing day. 

My favorites: I grew up listening to James Taylor, I couldn’t pick favorites even if I tried. Go listen to his music! 

Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin is the best band of all time. Zeppelin fits every mood and project – it’s just that good. One of the best vibes around. 12/10 no complaints whatsoever. 

My favorites: “Thank You” (Led Zeppelin II), “Ramble On” (Led Zeppelin II), “Black Dog” (Led Zeppelin IV), “When The Levee Breaks” (Led Zeppelin IV), “The Rain Song” (Houses Of The Holy), “Kashmir” (Physical Graffiti), basically any Led Zeppelin song, they are all awesome. 

So to conclude, classic rock is the best. I have spent hours talking about songs and music with my friends, and bonding with them over our love and appreciation for rock has been really cool. I pretty much listen to music whatever I may be doing, and it is the #1 inspiration for my art. Music is something that means the world to me, and to be able to share it with others is just so awesome. I love art and music so much, ahhh!!!

The Wildcat Roar • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in