Gus’ Guide to Peak Performance #8: Maximizing Focus in the Gym

Last week on Gus’ Guide to Peak Performance we discussed training splits. This week I will be discussing the topic of maximizing focus in the gym. 

If you asked 100 people why they do not workout, I can guarantee you the majority of people would say that they do not have enough time. However, I would argue that this is a poor excuse for the majority of people. The problem is that people think they need to go to the gym for two hours a day every day. But in reality, if you could squeeze three to four, 30-45 minute exercises into your schedule you would see major improvements. The key to seeing results in short workouts is staying focused in the gym. In fact, staying focused is also important in long workouts.  This concept is easier said than done, but I am here to give some of my techniques to staying focused in the gym. 

Listen to music. Listening to music helps me to focus on my lifts and block out distractions. Especially in a crowded gym it is very easy to zone out or talk to a lot of people, but listening to music helps to keep you on track. The National Center for Health Research states, listening to music “can help improve the quality of your workout by increasing your stamina and putting you in a better mood.” I would recommend investing in a quality pair of headphones or earbuds that have noise cancellation. 

Put down the phone. Being on your phone is one of the biggest distractions of the gym. Answering a quick text or changing your song is alright, but I would advise being on your phone as little as possible. It is kind of an endless rabbit hole of scrolling, especially if you are on some form of social media. Not only will this save you time, but it will also improve your workout. I find that I have my best workouts when I am not worried about my phone and just listen to my music between sets. 

Finally there are some supplements that you can take that help you improve focus. Many pre workouts on the market include ingredients to help enhance focus in the gym. According to Barbend.com, tyrosine is the most common “focus” ingredient found in pre workout. It is an amino acid that has beneficial cognitive effects. Although commonly looked past, caffeine also helps with focus. It is a stimulant, however “studies have suggested it can improve reaction time, working memory (which is similar, but not exactly the same as short term memory), and perceptual memory (which involves interpreting and categorizing incoming stimuli).”