cj francois

The History of the Chevrolet Camaro

The Chevrolet Camaro is an American icon, but how did it all start. It was 1966 and people didn’t want to drive the same boring and ugly cars. Cars had low performance in the 60s, and cars that did have good performance were very expensive. What if there was a car that was better than the Ford Mustang, but still was affordable. A year later, the Camaro was born and instantly became an icon. The first generation lasted 3 years, until a revised second generation came out with new styling and different engines. The third generation came out in 1982 and was loved instantly. Even though Camaro’s had far less power than they had in the 60s, the design looked amazing. No one had seen such a futuristic car before. Slowly, the Camaro started getting more and more horsepower and by 1993 the fourth generation had come out and was even crazier looking and had almost 300 horsepower. Sadly, Camaro production stopped in 2002, leaving Camaro fans angry. After years of designing, the 5th generation Camaro came out in 2010. This was the most radically designed and arguably best looking Camaro generation ever. Record sales were made and picked up even more when the 6th generation came out in 2016. These days, Camaro’s are very technologically advanced, but still have the same principle as the original generation. It still has a front engine rear drive coupe layout with a powerful engine. It still has either a manual or automatic transmission. It still has a retro design and a great sounding engine. Rumors have come around that the Camaro is getting discontinued, but that is very hard to believe, as it is an iconic car. While it may not be sold as much as the Ford Mustang or Dodge Challenger, it is certainly the best choice for a muscle car.