maggie lindstrom

gus’ blog logo

Micronutrients

Last week on Gus’ Guide to Peak Performance we discussed pre-workout. This week I will be discussing the topic of micronutrients. 

Although commonly looked past, micronutrients are a crucial part of having an efficiently functioning body. Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals. Vitamins play a big role in energy production, immune function, blood clotting, and other functions. Minerals play an important role in growth, bone health, fluid balance and several other processes. Iron, vitamin A, vitamin D, iodine, folate, and zinc are some of the most important micronutrients for the human body. However, according to Harvard studies there are nearly 30 vitamins and minerals that our body cannot produce in sufficient amounts on its own that are deemed “essential micronutrients.”

Micronutrients can be taken into the body in a variety of ways. One simple way is through the foods that we commonly eat. For example, we receive an abundance of calcium through milk, and vitamin d through oranges and other fruits. Eating fruits and vegetables daily can fulfill many of these micronutrient needs. Spinach is considered a superfood due to its low calorie content and abundance of vitamins and minerals. Jeff Nippard, a pro bodybuilder, powerlifter, and fitness influencer with more than two million subscribers on YouTube is a huge proponent of eating kiwis to fulfill micronutrient needs. He claims that they are the one true superfood for a few reasons. One being that they contain twice the amount of vitamin C of oranges. It also contains the most fiber, vitamin c, vitamin e, and vitamin k out of apples, oranges, bananas, strawberries, and blueberries. In short, kiwi takes home the crown for the best fruit (arguably food) to fulfill one’s nutrients needs. However, if you notice that you are not taking in enough micronutrients from your everyday diet, supplements are also a viable option. Multivitamin supplements are an easy way to get in many vitamins without taking several different supplements. In addition greens and reds powders are available through many supplement manufacturers for days when getting in fruits and vegetables is not possible. However, the body will respond best to the nutrients that come from whole foods so get them in that way whenever possible.