Futbol Cats Cruise against Whitfield

A Goal-Filled Second Half gave the Wildcats a 3-0 win over the Whitfield Warriors

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The Futbol Cat’s second game of the Metro Tournament was an away fixture as the Wildcats traveled to Priory to take on the Whitfield Warriors.

The beginning of the first half was fought mostly in the midfield as both teams battled to make the most of possession. As the half wore on, the game began to open up. Whitfield had strong pressure on the Cat’s back line, but the defense stayed firm. On numerous occasions, Junior Harry Medler had key interceptions to stifle the Warriors attack. With the support from the defense, the offense was given room to breath and create chances. Late in the first half, a low cross by Sophomore Eric Bergman found the feet of Miles Hehner, Senior. He made good contact on the shot, but it was ultimately blocked. On the ensuing corner, Junior defender Connor Dolan made full contact and a header, but a jumping Whitfield goaltender prevented a goal. With under a minute to go in the half, a late Warrior surge required multiple saves from the Junior Wildcat goaltender, Brandon Beat.

The second half began with excitement as both teams began to open up the game. On one of their first possessions, the Whitfield striker almost capitalized on a miscue by Beat, but his bad angle shot fizzed wide. A few minutes later, Junior David Kerckhoff found space and let a shot fly from the edge of the box, which required a diving save to keep zeroes on the scoreboard. The Futbol Cats kept pressing, and eventually found a breakthrough. Junior Alex Kempen sent in a high corner kick that was slotted home by Junior Teddy Bacon. In what seemed like seconds later, a well worked WCA counter attack resulted in a goal by Freshman Andrew Kempen. After a brief break of offense following the goal, the Cats nearly scored again. Junior Jack Bauer came under a wonderful through ball from Sophomore Frankie Sacco, and his shot was barely punched aside by the Whitfield keeper. After a long lull in the pace of the game, a beautiful Wildcat counterattack gave the Cats a 3-0 lead through Senior Jack Linton. Sacco was involved in the action again, using quick dribbles to give Linton the space to shoot. The goal would end up being the last true action of the game. The final whistle blew moments later, sealing the Futbol Cat’s 3-0 win.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email