logo

maggie lindstrom

logo

How To Boat Safely

Boating may sound hard and something that takes years of experience to do, but it’s actually very easy to do. The number one rule to boating is to always have a plan. While boating on a lake may not require this, never ever go out into the ocean without a plan. 

The ocean at times can be among the most dangerous places to be in a storm. Waves in the sea can reach more than 20 feet high. Waves are sometimes big enough to actually capsize your boat. Sudden waves, called rogue waves, that are bigger than the average size waves are the number one cause of capsizing.

If something goes wrong in the middle of the ocean, you cannot put an anchor out. The middle of the ocean in some places can be miles deep, which is far out of range for most anchors. Always plan ahead and bring a device called an EPIRB. This is a special tracking beacon that sends your location to the US Coast guard if it is set off. It should only be used in absolute emergencies. 

Check the weather before you go out. Weather is key when you are boating. Avoid trying to boat if there is thunder and lightning. Boats are big contractors for lighting due to all of the metal and fiberglass. 

Make sure there are life preservers at all times on your boat, especially if it’s rough. Have a phone or a VHF radio ready to use if you are in trouble. Make sure your boat is seaworthy and has no leaks or holes in the hull. Make sure your engine is in good operating condition. These tips may just save your life.

The Wildcat Roar • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in