Filed under Sports

The League

The life of a fantasy football junkie

Back to Article
Back to Article

The League

Brennan Murphy, junior, poses with his backpack.

Michael Alldredge

Michael Alldredge

Michael Alldredge

Brennan Murphy, junior, strolls down the halls carrying a Hello Kitty backpack. Students from all around strain to catch a glimpse of the pink accessory. With a slightly downtrodden expression he quietly ducks into a classroom.

Murphy was the loser in his fantasy football league from last season and as punishment, he had to wear a Hello Kitty backpack around school for a few weeks this year.

This year started the same as last, with a draft. The draft is arguably the most important part of any fantasy football junkie’s season. It is where the team is assembled. Murphy prepared for the draft by reading up on players and ranking them by rounds. After he knew what pick number he had, he had to guess about which players would be available. His draft was what sunk his season last year.

“My draft went wrong last year when I took Ray Rice early, and it was his worst year ever,” said Murphy.

He hopes to rebound this year to avoid finishing in last place again.

Murphy was in a league that was reasonable with punishments. In a league that has made national news, a middle aged man had to make a calendar with embarrassing pictures of himself. Brennan’s punishment was decided when one of the other league members sent out a picture of the backpack.

It takes work to ensure something other than a last place finish.

“I check my lineup on Sunday morning to make sure all of my players will play” said Murphy.

League members gather to watch the afternoon’s best games and track their players performances online. Murphy picks which games to follow based upon who on his roster is playing, even if it means cheering against his favorite teams. On Monday, he comes into school bragging about a win, or  lamenting a loss. The Monday night game can  impact the outcome of a match up, so premature celebration can mean embarrassment later.

The School Newspaper of Westminster Christian Academy
The League